11 *

{ e l e v e n }

Luke was sporting a bruised and battered split lip, right down from the pierced hole to the upper part of his bottom lip. He'd taken the ring out, orders of the school nurse, and he couldn't put it back in as the hole was completely torn.

Luke didn't want to admit that he was upset, so he just kept his head down, looking at the the greasy piece of pizza on his plate as Michael rambled. Luke was hoping that he'd be recovered a little more by the time Monday rolled around, but here he was, and it was still agonising.

The saddest thing is that he really liked the piercing, even with the short amount of the time that he actually had it. That's why Luke is mostly upset, because the nurse said that it's ruined now, it'll scar too and the piercing won't be able to go back in at all.

"Hey, Lucas?" Luke looked up to Michaels soft voice to see he had leant in closer to him. He hummed in reply. It hurt to talk, it pulled on the deep cut. "Are you going to eat that?" Michael gestured to the pizza and grinned as Luke pushed the plate towards him.

Michael took a bite, chewing a few times before asking, "so what's up?" Luke grimaced at the sight of food in his mouth, feeling his lower lip painfully stretch.

"Nothing Mikey, I gotta get to class." He mumbled. Michael nodded and stood up as Luke did. Like hell would he leave him to roam the halls alone, even if he could see most of the jocks in the cafeteria.

Michael was still eating the pizza as they walked in silence, they left the cafeteria, heading to the reception where the buildings separated into different year groups. Luke and Michael took the hall farthest away from the front doors in the reception, them being the oldest in the school.

They both had Music as their last lesson of each day. The annoying thing is that they are in different classes. It was a 2 hour lesson, consisting of all aspects of music study. Luke just wished he could have Michael in his class, they could both play the same instrument so it was only fair. This is why Luke found the entire situation to be unfair.

Music was at the end of the long hallway, and it had a whole section of the hall for itself, seven rooms in total. Two classrooms and five soundproof practice rooms. Michael stood outside of Luke's classroom door as Luke leant against the wall next to him.

"Hey, wipe that frown off your face. At least you get to have your guitar today! I have an exam on reading notes and tab!" Michael complained. Luke smiled slightly, he had been waiting all day for his favourite lesson.

"I'm going in." Luke told Michael in a small voice, gesturing to the classroom. He could see his teacher and a few students through the door, probably waiting for the rest of the class to arrive. Michael nodded and pulled Luke into a well-needed hug before pushing him towards the door.

Luke was still bashfully smiling at Michael as he opened it and stepped inside. He was comfortable here, he had a nice, talented teacher, quiet classmates who focused on their own music and he could just be himself surrounded with instruments and music technology.

"Hi, Luke." His teacher greeted with a small smile, rushing over to her desk and checking his name off before sauntering back over to a bass guitar with a broken string. It had been broken for months, Luke wondered why she'd bother to fix it now.

He went to the wall she was fixing the guitar, passing 6 other students with their instruments of choice in front of them, fiddling with them to tune and such. Luke eyes hungrily scanned the wall and a painful smile broke out on his face as he saw the acoustic guitar he had left here months ago. He didn't bother to take it home and bring it back anymore, he used it here more anyway.

He unhooked it from the wall, holding it by the neck as he went to sit on a chair at the back of the classroom. He strummed lightly, the off pitch sound cutting through him like a knife. He could tune it by ear now, so that's what he did, starting at the higher E string and working his way up.

There were only 7 people in Luke's class, including himself. Michaels was much bigger, containing over 20 and it made Michael whine about Luke getting a better musical education than him because of it. Luke enjoyed being in the small class though, it was a lot easier than all his other bigger classes and his teacher gave them all a lot more attention which was nice.

This small fact, was why, when the door opened more than 5 minutes into the lesson, Luke looked up. Everyone did, the buzzing sound if instruments slowly dying as they all caught sight of the smirking jock in the doorway. This was music; jocks didn't do music.

Luke felt his body stiffen. He could see other students looking just as uncomfortable in front of him as they stared at him.

"You must be the student joining the class." The teacher smiled to the recognisable tan jock, walking over to him with the bass guitar.

As the jock took the guitar into his hand with a sickly sweet smile, Luke suddenly had the urge to throw up.