86 *

{ e i g h t y s i x }

"Luke! Calum!" There's a slam on his bedroom door. "School, and you're late!"

Luke hears Calum groan as he climbs out of bed and stumbles over to his drawers. He wipes the sleep from his eyes and looks at his clothes, hearing Calum shuffle around in bed. "Can we skip?" Calum asks. Luke picks out his nice jeans and turns, giving Calum a look that lets the boy know that it won't happen, Calum sighs. "Can I borrow some clothes then?" They get dressed in silence, like spiking up hid hair into a quiff as Calum uses the bathroom.

He gets his bag, not that it has any of his books in (like always) and rushes into the bathroom to brush his teeth. He goes downstairs then, Calum following him with his own bag. "Grab cereal bars," Liz tells hem. "He's already in the car for you." 

Luke throws one to Calum, plants a kiss of his Mom's cheek and they both leave the house to get into his step dads car. It's a routine that happens often enough, because Luke, like most other teenagers, is prone to sleeping through his alarm.

When the car is whooshing past all the buildings, the fog in the air making them barely visible, Luke starts to panic. He texts Michael almost the exact same as what he had the night before, wondering what Calum will do now his dad knows, even if they aren't on the best speaking terms right now. 

Michael fails at calming him down over text and Luke just finds himself worrying more.

Everything should change. Realistically, since Calum's dad was the only reason they couldn't be a couple in public, everything should be different. They could kiss and hold hands in the hallways and Calum could even walk him to class. 

He wouldn't even have to play football anymore so they could eat lunch together, Michael would come around. Calum could actually acknowledge him when they walk past each other. So why does Luke feel like it's not even going to happen.

He feels excited about the whole idea of it, but it feels like that; just an idea. An image in his head that he's had since he and Calum started dating. 

He tells himself that it may not happen, but his leg still won't stop bouncing as he watches the car pull through the school gates. He glances through the mirror at Calum's profile, sees the kiwi boy staring at the school is moderate distaste which most of the student body share, and smiles slightly. There's no reason for anything bad to happen.

"Thanks." Luke says to his step dad as they both get out of the car. He frowns when Calum doesn't do the same but let's it go, because Calum is upset right now and in no frame of mind to be a gentlemen. He feels bad that it even irked him in the first place.

They walk towards the school together, Calum slightly behind him. Calum falls behind when they get to the doors and Luke turns as he opens it, giving him a questioning look.

"I'll catch up." Calum says with a small smile, scratching at the back of his neck. Luke glances down at the black shirt he's wearing- Luke's own, smiles at the thought of them sharing clothes and then nods, walking into the school and weaving through the pupils to get to his locker.

Michael's died his hair again, it's a weird mixture of blue, pink and black that looks like a galaxy. "Cool hair." Luke says as he approaches, fingers going over the charcoaled bit of his locker before he turns the combination into it. Michael's jaw locks.

"Is he for real? He's not even in?"

Luke sighs and turns to Michael, a smile on his face. "He's-" the smile drops, he grabs Michael and moves him slightly more towards the lockers, Michael turning so they're both looking as Calum walks over to the jocks and cheerleaders he's always with, one of them saying his name and hitting his shoulder. Like they're all buddy-buddy. "He's in." Luke finishes in a small voice.

Michael begins to storm over there, Luke grabbing his bicep and pulling him back.

"Leave it Mikey," he whispers, both of them walking in the opposite direction. Luke turns around and looks at Calum laughing with his friends one more time before letting Michael put an arm around him as they continue walking. "It's not-" he sighs, "It's not like I really expected him to be all- you know, with me anyway."

"That's the problem, Luke." Michael whispers harshly. "You've starting being okay with him fucking you over because you're used to it. That's what scares me even more. The fact that you don't even blink when he does something any normal person would break up with him for."

"Stop getting involved."

"How can I-!" He breathes through his nose for a second, glaring at the people who've turned to them when he started yelling, and then continues in a quiet voice, softer this time. "How can I not get involved when one of the only people I care about is getting hurt and doesn't even do anything about it?"

"He's been through a lot, Mikey-"

"He's been through shit!" He whisper yells. "Daddy's kicked him out and taken away his bank account. That's nothing in this world Luke. He's got friends who'll take him in, he's got you for fuck sake, and he's treating you like you're nothing." He huffs and glares when Luke just looks at him like he's not even hearing the words coming out of his best friends mouth. "You know what, Luke? If you like it when people treat you like shit then I guess I should do the same, so I'll see you later. Maybe." Luke freezes when he turns around and begins to walk away.

"Michael," Luke says quietly. "I can't- please don't."

Michael freezes for a second.

Then he carries on walking away, as if Luke had said nothing at all.