97 *

{ n i n e t y s e v e n }

"What in the name of fucking God are you wearing?" Michael asks as soon as Ashton opens his mouth to greet them. Luke looks back from where he's locking his front door, seeing Ashton in an awful colored shirt frowning at them, looking down at himself. 

"What?" He asks. Michael blinks at him in disbelief, Luke chuckling as he locks the door and checks it before walking over to them. "What's wrong with it?" 

"It's- purple." 

"It's lavender!" Ashton whines, crossing his arms over his chest. "Fuck off, let's just go. I like this shirt." 

Luke calls shotgun, and Michael spends the entire drive making fun of Ashton's outfit attire. He thinks this band thing could actually work out, after all. 

*

They write and record a song called 'Gotta Get Out' - one that Luke and Michael have had on the back burner for a while, and Luke makes them re-record it five times before he's finally happy enough with the final result. 

The video gets sent Wednesday night from Ashton's garage, somewhere he's grown very comfortable in the last two days, as they all watch the horror movie Grave Encounters to distract themselves. 

On Thursday they record another cover of I Miss You by Blink 182 and send that too, just in case, Luke insists. And then comes the waiting, they all think on Thursday afternoon, settling in Ashton's garage on the old worn out couches and turning on the TV. The waiting part sucks. 

*

On Friday morning, Luke wakes up with his step dad shaking him violently, yelling, "We slept in, we have to leave in five minutes!" Luke squeals and jumps out of bed as his step father leaves the room, slamming the door shut behind him. 

He quickly strips out of his clothes, pulling on dirty skinny jeans and throwing the first top that's in his drawers- a Bon Jovi one that isn't too shabby, before running to the bathroom, side stepping around James to get his own toothbrush and toothpaste. 

They get ready in seven and a half minutes, and are in the car on the eighth. Luke tries to brush his hands through his hair in the flip down mirror, but it's tangled and messy and still looks mused with sleep, his eyes with the bags under giving the same impression. 

He's not been getting much sleep since they sent off the songs and have heard nothing back. 

He tries not to think about it, anyway, and instead just ends up putting his earphones in for the drive. He dozes in and out of consciousness, and the ride seems to last only a few minutes before he's being ushered out of the car and James is rushing off to work, only a couple of minutes later than they usually are. 

He pulls his thin hoodie around himself and walks up to the school, pushing through one of the double doors before putting his head down, beginning to maneuver around all the students that are flooding the hallways, waiting for classes to start. 

 He spots Michael's bleached hair before he gets near, but before he can get there, there's a voice yelling for him. "Luke!" He turns, and Ashton steps away from the group of jocks and cheerleaders who are gawping at him as he does so, a Cheshire cat grin on his face. 

Luke feels himself smiling too, trying to remind himself that this could be anything, but somehow it feels like this could be the news they've been waiting for. Ashton just grins at him for a few seconds, Luke's smile getting wider and wider, before Ashton just nods slowly. Luke's mouth drops open- even though he felt almost prepared for the information. 

"They liked it?" He asks in awe. "Michael!" He screams to the blond, uncaring of the copious amounts of students who turn and glare at him. Michael's head shoots up from a piece of paper before he stuffs it in his pocket and walks over. 

"You're loud today." He moans immediately. Something seems to click with him when he makes eye contact with Luke, because his head shoots over to Ashton who's still grinning. 

He fish mouths for a few seconds. 

"We got it?" He asks quietly. 

Ashton bites his lip, still grinning. 

"London." He whispers quietly, so nobody who's still looking at them can hear, and Michael screams. "Shhhh!" Ashton scolds, but he's laughing. Luke is too. He's so fucking happy right now. "You wanna skip today and celebrate?" 

"Fuck yes!" Michael all but yells, pulling on Luke's shoulder and wrapping an arm around him, Luke melting into the touch, still smiling so hard his mouth hurts at the sides. They're going to London for an interview- for a manager. They've just made a band and now they're going to London. 

"Ashton?" A voice asks behind him. It's Beau, his voice three pitches higher than usual, giving him a confused look and various arm gestures. 

Ashton shakes his head and just shrugs at them all, "I'll see you later." He tells them before grabbing Luke's arm and beginning to pull them back towards the doors Luke had just come through. 

Michael pulls Luke closer in, pressing his head to Luke's briefly before turning and kissing his cheek, right there in the middle of the hallway, all the jocks, cheerleaders, some student body members, fuck, even Ashton is looking at them, and Luke just blushes and thanks God that his life is turning out this way right now. He's never had anyone kiss him in front of strangers before, and it feels pretty good. 

"Whether we get somewhere as a band or not, we're still going to London." He whispers against Luke's cheek, and Luke grins and presses closer to him. 

Luke doesn't see, but Calum is burning holes into Michael's back. 

"We're gunna be huge." Ashton laughs as they get outside, digging in his bag for his car keys. "I'm getting a super hot girlfriend." 

They go to London the next day to stay with Ashton's uncle for the weekend, having interviews, recording demo's and then on Sunday night, a meeting with their new manager. 

They don't step on school grounds again for another five and a half years.

THE END. 

OKKKAAAAYYYYY, I know it says the end but there's still a chapter to go soo... ; an epilogue, and it'll be up very, very soon. 

I'm not going to ask you what you think yet, because a lot of extra context comes with the epilogue, so I guess I should've considered that the end really? Anyway... 

what do you think happens in five and a half years? 

I'll be posting soon :) 

Emily .x