~ Chapter 37 ; Jasper and Heartbreak ~

Date: July 1
Time: 6am
Place: Volleyball Court

The rest of June just flew by. So far, from my four months at camp, the riskiest thing I'd done was sneak out to the outside city on Turner's birthday. It took a long time, but Turner had a lot of fun. He didn't even mind that Walton lied (he had escaped to go to sleep, and he had no present for him). But those few hours of shopping in pyjamas out of camp was really dangerous. Fortunately, no one else had found out.
Now, I'm thinking that playing volleyball against Nico is a more dangerous idea.
And not just any Nico. A Nico who got no sleep at night.

I duck and let the ball fly over my head. It hits Clarisse and pushes her to the ground. Shit, Nico can throw hard even when he's exhausted.

"Wimp," Nico says.

"I'm sorry, but I'm the kind of person who wants to live," I say coldly.
That's basically my signature response to when someone says I'm a chicken to not do something. Which rarely happens.

Nico ignores me and I take the ball back from Jason.

I serve it normally and Nico hits back with the strength of Fuck-this-bitch-I'm-gonna-kill-her-in-a-domestic-sport.
Don't ask how I know that.
Or why I said know instead of think.
Who knows why I think anything?

I dodge it again.

Nico groans. "This isn't dodgeball, idiot!"

Before I can give another sassy retort, Will ends the game.

"8-2! Nico, son of Hades, wins the final round! In second place is Khristine! In third is Haleigh, daughter of Apollo!"

Everyone cheers and I grimly walk over to Leo, Percy, and Jason.

Nico stands in front of Jason.
"I dub thee the volleyball champion!" He puts a medal over his head.

I wonder how that happened.

Haleigh and I get medals too.

Once everyone's attention is gone, I go sit next to Ash.

"Nico, good at volleyball. Pfft." Ash rolls her eyes.

I nod. "Surprising."

"Jasper is cute," Ash suddenly says.

I follow her gaze and see her looking at Piper and Jason. They're making out in the middle of the court. In front of anyone.
Piper arranged all this. She made sure everyone didn't sleep and she brought Jason here exactly at 12:17.
She didn't really time that, but it just happened.
He's lucky. Piper went through a lot of trouble just for that.

"Wish I had someone like that," Ash says sadly. "Do you?"

I shrug. "I'm fine with myself," I lie. Of course I want someone. A friend or boyfriend, just someone... who'd care. Go out of their way for me. I'm all ready to do that but... I'm not going to give my time to someone worthless.

"It must be nice being asexual. No feelings, no heartbreak," Ash says distractedly.

I stare at Nico, talking to Percy.
I can imagine having him as someone like that. Or at least I could.
No heart, no heartbreak.

Ewwww WHY AM I THINKING OF RELATIONSHIPS MY GOAL IN LIFE IS TO-
Okay never mind I don't need to focus on anything.