Chapter 5: His secretary

Nandani's POV

How could he say such cheap things about me? I hope the slap would have shut his mind. And why am I shredding tears because of that monster. I have to be strong, strong for Rishab. My bags were in the room, so pulled out an electric hot plate from the bag and started cooking with some of the left over groceries I had at my house. I had my dinner and soon fell  asleep.

I stepped into the Malhotra industries office but the atmosphere was different. It felt as if I was coming here for the first time. Everyone looked at me with billions of questions in their mind. Atleast they weren't invited for the wedding so nobody knows about the drama but then why was it awkward for me?
"Congratulations Nandani." One by one my colleagues started to wish me. Before I could stop one another person comes and wishes me.
"What the hell is going on here? Why have you all gathered like this. Is this what I pay you for?"
I looked at the office upstairs to spot the monster of my life. He was angry at everyone but he avoided looking at me. Perhaps he did not want to recall the slap of last night.
"And one more thing, their marriage broke so stop congratulating her." He said as he looked at me with anger burning in his eyes.
Everyone started feeling awkward and had billions of questions in their mind but were to scared to approach me as the monster was still waiting for everyone to settle down. It felt like the calm before a storm. As I walk to his cabin I gather the courage to face him since the last night was a mess, but I did not regret it. I knock on the door and enter as per his instructions.
"You are late." He said as he sat facing the opposite side  
I looked at my watch to see the time which was 9:05. He indeed was a monster, just to fight with me he is doing this. But I chose to be calm and not complain about the 5 mins late thing.
"Sorry Mr.Malho......sir."
"You have to handle the personal order of Miss Desai. Make sure her outfit is delivered on time and the payment details should also be made clear with her. After that, here are some mails I want you to send to our competitor's customers and try to make them our customers. And get me a strong black coffee now!" He said as he turned around and doing his work, completely avoiding me. At least he was making my life easier by avoiding me.
"Yes sir."
I went out and got his coffee, when I remembered how all of us used to chill here. Me, Abhi, Mukti and Cabir. Cabir had taken a leave and nobody knew where Mukti disappeared. And most importantly what happened to Abhi? Did Manik do something to him? I had to ask if he was ok or not. As I handed over the coffee, I gathered the courage and asked, "Where is Abhi......I mean Abhimanyu?"
As soon as he heard his name, he placed the files away and stood up to manhandle me again. His grip on my shoulder was tighter then ever before.
"Your hurting me MR.Malhotra. Leave me." I said as I tried to get away from him.
"You don't need to worry about him. He is with the person he loves the most and not with someone who is running behind his money."
He finally left me with a jerk and I looked at him is disbelief. What did he mean by someone he loves? Did Abhi not want this marriage? But when I asked he said he was ok? What is happening? When will I know everything that is happening in my life?
"Stop making anymore plans and start with your work." He said pulling me out of my thoughts.
Since I was his secretary my desk was placed in his office in one corner. I pretended as if he did not exist and started with my work. As I was done with everything he had told me, I took the newspaper to pass my time as the monster was not in the office. On the last page of the newspaper there was an advert for a job vacancy. I thought of giving it a shot as I did not want to always face or be around that monster. I called the place to inquire.
"Hello, Ashoka restaurant?"
"Hello. My name is Nandani Murty and I saw your advert as you needed a manager?"
"Ok so you want to apply for the vacancy?"
"Yes, but I wanted to do part time. As in can I come at 6:30 and till what ever time the restaurant closes."
"Oh part time? Actually our boss is not here so can you please come to the place today after 6. He will be here and maybe he can help."
"Sure, thanks."
As it was 6:00, I went straight to the restaurant and met the owner. They took a while to decide whether to let me or not. But I guess I did make an impression on them.
"You can start with the work today, if that's fine with you."
I jumped in joy, "Yes sir. I will start today."
"Good. But please don't call me sir. Call me Harshad."
"Ok sir.....I mean Harshad."

My job was easy. I just had to instruct the waiters and please the customers. This job was a great help, as I could gather the money faster to give the monster and I also did not have to face him for a while. Life kept on giving me challenges but I was ready to fight as my brother's happiness were at stake. There was nothing in my life as only Rishab mattered to me. And after losing almost everyone, there was every reason for me to fight for Rishab.