Chapter 10

Nandani's POV
What am I thinking, I know all of this is just an act then why do I feel like this. Raj and Nyonika aunty are so much like amma and appa. When then hugged me it felt like I got my parents back and Manik! Why was he looking at me with such intensity and care. I think I am just dreaming, otherwise that monster is just RUDE and ARROGANT. But... No matter what I have to keep away from everyone, I can't get attached to anyone. Because this is what happens every time, I get too close and then they are snatched away by my cursed fate. This is all just an act and it shouldn't be more than that!

It seemed as if Manik's parents were going to spend the day here so I thought of cooking for everyone. "Aunty.....I mean Mom, is there anything specific you would like to eat?" Manik looked at me with shocked eyes. Maybe because I had told him clearly that I was not going to enter his kitchen but then I couldn't leave his parents hungry. What would they think about me?
"Beta, why do you want to cook. I have called Ramu, he will be here soon." Aunty said.
"Arreee, why not. Let's she how is Manik's choice after all." Uncle claimed.
Manik just kept quite as he was also not aware of my cooking skills either.
"It's ok Mom, I will make it. Please tell me what you would like to eat." I asked but by now I was nervous as this was no longer a making food to kill hunger thing but a test to judge me.
"Beta make anything that you like." Aunty said.

I nodded and entered the kitchen for the first time. Everything was placed neatly and the kitchen was quite clean. I expected it to be a mess as the monster was the cook. But I guess the maid in the morning did spread her magic. Anyways I pulled the fridge door open to find nothing except for milk, juice and bread. Now I understand why that monster looked at me like that. He is such an idiot, what was I going to make without any vegetables? I check rest of the cabinets to only find packets of instant food. Instant noddles, instant coffee (I mean he doesn't even know how to make coffee?), instant dal makhani (Like for serious. Who eats this?) and many other things. Luckily he had all the dry food items. I quickly took rice and dal and placed it in a pressure cooker so that I could make jeera rice and dal fry. There was some moong also so I thought of making Moong Ka Halwa.

After about an hour or so I was done, meanwhile Mukti set the table up and Manik was attending a phone call. Today we did not go to office, so he was handling everything from home, oh wait his house. This place is not mine. Everyone came and sat on the dining table but I apologetically said, "I am sorry Mom, actually I didn't go to the office today so I forgot to buy vegetables. So this was all I could make."
"Beta this is more then enough. And it's good that you forgot. It means that you still have a pending lunch to give us. What say?" Aunty said trying to cheer me up.
Everyone sat together while I stood up serving them. "Beta why are you standing, we will take it ourselves. You also sit and have lunch with us." Uncle said reminding me of how appa always took care of me. I smiled and sat next to Manik as it was the only place left for me.

Manik took the first bit and his eyes sparked brightly which made me think if he always had the instant food items for dinner? For lunch also he would eat out or in the office canteen. I hope his health was ok, all the junk and instant food is not good for health. It pricked my heart but it wasn't right. I have to stop thinking about all this, specially about Manik.
"The food was amazing Nandani." Mukti complemented me.
"The Moong Ka Halwa was the best. I will take the remaining home." aunty sweetly commanded. And I just nodded in agreement.

"Manik I must say I am impressed. She can cook as well as handle work at office. I am happy for you." Uncle patted Manik as we all sat in the lounge that I once had destroyed.
"So Manik, I want you to drop Nandani at the Malhotra Mansion tomorrow. I have to speak to her about few things." Aunty said scaring all of us.
"But Mom, office.." I tried to avoid going but I failed as aunty intervened.
"Office you can go after that. I won't keep you the entire day." aunty had left me with no other option so I agreed.
"Ok now we will leave and see you tomorrow Nandani." aunty said standing up.
I quickly go and hug them followed by Manik as the trio decided to leave.

As Manik drops them to the door I quickly clean the table and place the dishes in the basin to start washing it.
A voice from the back came, "Don't wash them. The maid will come and do it."
I ignored and continued with my work when he came and held my hand and pulled me out of the kitchen.
"Mr Malhotra, what are you doing." I cried as his hold on my hand was tight. I guess he was back to being Monster Malhotra.
"You are not my servant that you will do all of this work. Do you understand." He firmly said it looking into my eyes. I couldn't believe his words. I very well knew what my impression was in his eyes then why was he being.....KIND?
"I have done this everyday....." But before I could say anything he stopped me by placing his finger on my lips.
"Please just learn to listen to me. And..." he hesitated but continued, "Thanks for today. Mom and Dad seemed very happy. And the food was great." He looked away but was still holding my hand perhaps unknowingly.

I was on cloud 9 today. The Monster....The great Monster Malhotra was praising me. After all these months of loneliness and struggle, my heart seemed to have found a reason to smile for. But a question came in my mind and I asked him. "Do you always have all the Instant junk for dinner?"
He looked at me with a surprise as I had no reason to ask such a question yet I asked. "Yeah, actually Manda tai had taken a leave and their was no cook available on such short notice so I had to cook. And I don't know much about cooking so they were pretty much all I ate." He looked down and noticed that he was still holding my hand so he left it immediately. His phone rang so he left, leaving me thinking.

What is he? Is he really a Monster or just a normal guy who had built up an invisible wall around him. The way he cares for his family but then the way he treats me?? And he is adopted? How? And why does he stay alone, his parents are so nice. I could see the love in their eyes. Why is he so mysterious?