Chapter 64

Nandani's POV
"Nandani, what are you doing in the office?" Manik asked as he saw me inside his cabin.

"I work here." I said acting cute.

"Let me correct you. You worked here and now you are on a maternity leave." He said as he made me sit.

"But I didn't ask for any leave! And Manik, it's not like I lift heavy boxes here. I just need to climb those few stairs. Some exercise  is good for the baby." I said while he just admired me.

"Okay fine...But you will only sit and work, nothing else." Manik ordered and went to his chair.

"By the way, how was the meeting?" I asked.

"What meeting??" Manik asked being busy reading some papers.

"The meeting for which you came home late and went early." I asked in suspicion.

"Oh yeah..I forgot. It was great, we got the deal." Manik said rolling his chair back. Why is he hiding from me? This monster will never let me know what's bothering him and I am sure it has to do something with the office affairs. But how do I find out? Of course.....Cabir or Mukti.

"Manik, I will go see around the office." I said and got out to head towards Cabir's Cabin. I knocked the door and got in.

"Wow wow wow....Mrs Malhotra, the would be mummy gracing her presence in my cabin?" Cabir teased me as always.

"Cabir..!" I said wondering how he always manages to make me smile. "Cabir.." I spoke on a serious note but he cut me off.

"..I know! Manik, what did he do now?" Cabir asked.

"He hasn't done anything but I just wanted to ask about something. Is there any problems going on in the company?" I asked.

"Problems? What problems? Everything is sorted out, in fact we have done better than last year. Here, I was just checking the financial reports." Cabir said and handed the copy to me. I examined it and everything seem perfect as far as I understood it.

"Then why is Manik worried?" I asked myself out loud and Cabir got surprised. "And what about the meeting that was in the morning?" I asked Cabir.

"What meeting?" Cabir asked me instead. Just then Mukti walked in.

"Oh wow, you two are already together. Tell me what the gossip is about." Mukti asked in amusement and sat next to the chair besides me.

"Mukti, there was a meeting in the morning right?" I asked her and she looked at me surprise.

"What meeting? There was no meeting today? Manik postponed all the meetings because of your honeymoon plans." Mukti exploded the boom on me and I had now started to worry.

"Nandani, what happened?" Cabir asked.

"Nothing Cabir....I am just over thinking stuff. Anyways, you guys have fun, I will go home." I said but Cabir was tensed too. "Please inform Manik, I don't think I can climb those stairs again." I said and they both nodded in agreement.

"You are okay right?" Manik called me as soon as I sat in the car.

"Are you okay?" I asked him the same.

"What has happened to me. You tell me, are you feeling alright?" He was concerned.

"Manik, even if a feather hurts me, I will tell you. But even if you are on the verge of dying, you will not tell me." I said it will tears welling up in my eyes. This pregnancy was making all my emotions heighten.

"Nandani, what are you saying?? You reach home, I will be there just now." Manik said in frustration.

"No...! Actually I have a little headache and getting some mood swings. It's fine, you don't have to come. But come on time today, I won't eat dinner till you are present in front of me." I said and he chuckled at it.

"Stubbon as always. I will be there. But you take care of yourself and take a good nap. Bye, I love you." He said.

"I love you way to much Manik..." I cut the call before he could hear my sobs.

Why can't he just tell me whats bothering him! Is there something related to the business? Something that not even Cabir or Mukti knows about. Or is it mom? Ahhh....My Monster is a bigger baby then the one I am going to have. Wait...! Is it the baby that Manik is worried about?

Just as I entered, I saw mom reading a book on the sofa. Very quietly I went and sat next to her. "Mom..." I called out and she hmmed. "How does it feel to be a mother?" I asked.

She closed her book and kept it aside. "It feels over the top Nandani. When I first had Mukti, I was scared because I didn't know how all of this worked. Neither did I have Manik's grandmother who could instruct us. But as time passed, we learnt how to become parents. I felt empowered when I thought that I was capable of giving birth to another human. I never knew that I would ever be able to love someone so much. And when Manik came I had already been trained but he brought in new challenges for me. Would he still consider me as his mother when he finds out that I wasn't his real mother? I had loved Manik just as much as I loved Mukti and this questions haunted me for years. But later I figured it out that it's not the blood relations that matter, it's the connection between two hearts that matter. Manik and I have a very special connection, maybe that's why after all this I can't hurt him." Mom said and she was in tears.

"I know you still love him and I know you will fix it yourself when you are ready." I said and she wiped her tears.

"But why did you ask me this question so suddenly? Are you scared?" She asked.

"I am nervous about the baby but I am worried about Manik more." I said and she asked me to explain. "Actually, ever since we have come back, Manik is behaving very strangely. He doesn't talk much, he seems stressed, he is happy but there is something missing. First I thought it was the business so I went and checked but there was nothing. So I was wondering if it's the baby that's worrying him." I said.

"Nandani, Manik has always been keeping himself away from people. You were the first person who fought with him and made a place in his life. Maybe this baby will also need to do that. It will take time for Manik to realise that another person is entering his life. Or we might just be overthinking about all this. It could also be because he is nervous about all the responsibilities that will come up on you and him. Maybe he is scared and thinking if he can become a good father." Mom explained and I was convinced. Maybe Monster is scared to express his fears in front of me. I guess I will talk to him after dinner.

"So tell me, what did you want to talk about?" He asked me as I sat on the bed.

"Nothing...just wanted to know how you are." I had to take the long way, he wasn't going to speak if I asked directly.

"As you can see I am fine, you tell me, how are you?" He tucked my hair behind the ear and asked me.

"Your baby and I are both fine." I said and he looked away.

"Okay listen, let's go watch a movie tomorrow, late night show and we will get the corner seats." He asked in excitement.

"No....Mom clearly said no for late night outs because it's not good for the baby if I miss my nap." I said and he though for more plans.

"What about going out to eat?" He asked.

"No...outside food not good for the baby." I said and he chuckled.

"Don't forget me when the baby comes." He said it in such a sarcastic tone that it frighten me. "Okay now sleep, I will think of something tomorrow?" He said and kissed me. "Goodnight." He said and turned the lights off.

Manik is never unprepared for anything, then he wouldn't be scared at the arrival of our baby. Is he angry that I didn't share this news first with him? I am sure that's the matter! Oh god, why did you make him so complex when you created him! Anyways, goodnight!

Hmmm....So what is Manik's problem? Do you guys think Manik is angry with Nandani as she didn't share the news with him first? What will Nandani do next and where is their relationship heading towards? Tell me how the update was and share your views.