Chapter 12 {Part 1}

They were about to enter when Manik's mom stopped them at the the doorstep. "Don't move."

Nandani and Manik both looked at each other, they thought their truth was now revealed. They was fear clearly visible on their faces which made Manik's mom to question them. "What's wrong? Why are you so scared? I am not forbidding you from coming in because there is a ritual that needs to be done before you enter this house. I am sure you must have not done it before."

Manik and Nandani both took a deep breath but were feeling guilty somewhere deep down. Nyonika brought a Kalash full of rice and placed it on the entrance while Mukti brought a huge thal contain sindoor water. Manik's dad was very happy and was ready with his phone to take a picture or maybe a video of the couple. Nandani's eyes welled up with tears as she knew all this was an act and once they would find out the truth, it would hurt them so much.

Nandani's POV
This is getting too much. They are so happy, happy about something which will eventually break all of us apart. I don't want to hurt them as some where in my heart, they had taken up the empty spaces of my parents. Tears were welling up in my eyes but then I saw Manik's dad, who had just recovered and if I do anything then it will hurt him the most. I have to pretend.
End of POV

"Slowly touch the Kalash with your foot and make it fall with your right leg and enter the house." Nandani followed her instructions and walked in. "Now step into the tray and walk inside." She again followed her instruction while Manik just looked at her and walked along with her. As Nandani took few steps in she again asked her to stop. "From now on Manik will carry you in his arms and take you to the sitting room." Manik and Nandani hesitated for this ritual

Manik's POV
What!! I have to carry her? What ritual is this? And why am I feeling so shy, Its not that I am carrying her for the first time. But before she was either unconscious or sleeping and now she is completely fine. I hope she won't feel uncomfortable.

Nandani's POV
He seemed nervous, but why was he. He has carried me before. As my thoughts were taking place, without giving me any warning, he picked me up in his arms. It was not comforting so I placed my hands around his neck. He looked at me for few seconds and then looked away and started walking. But something had got into me. My brains was trying to avoid but my eyes betrayed me. I kept staring, examining his facial features. His eyes which where intense as if trying to hide all his emotions. There was something in his eyes that had trapped me. We reached the lounge but Manik did not let me down. In fact he looked into my eyes. It felt as if he wanted to tell me something but was not able. There was fear,want,care and love in his eyes. My soul was getting pulled by his intensity.
End of POV

Mukti was surprised to see them behave like that. Just now she had seen them fight and now, they were lost into each other. They had forgotten everyone present around them. Nyonika and Raj admired the couple and prayed silently for them to stay like this forever. Everyone had noticed the change Manik was going through except for him.

Mukti was getting annoyed so she started coughing loudly. Manik and Nandani still didn't get disturbed. This made Nyonika and Raj laugh.

"Manik you can leave her now." Mukti screamed in his ear. Manik broke the eye lock and looked around to find everyone staring at him. He quickly put her down as they both felt embarrassed.

"Manik, you can leave now. You are getting late for office right." Nyonika said as she left out few chuckles.

"Mom just tell me to get out you don't have to beat around the bush. And Nandani, I will sent the driver, just give me a call." Manik said as he went out. Nandani nodded and waited till he disappeared from her view.

Nandani's POV
Couldn't he make an excuse and stay with me. What if I mess up? Mom came towards me and said, "He is gone, now come with me." I realised I was still at the same spot when Manik left and looking at the doorway as if he would come back. This was something unusual. I always looked for ways to run away but there I was today, upset as he left.

I followed Mom and we stood outside a room. "Beta today I want to tell you few things about Manik that no one will ever be able to tell you, not Manik as well." I was surprised as this was the least I expected. She opened the door and we walked in. "This is Manik's room. The day he left, it was just like this. I haven't moved a thing from here." She sounded very emotional. I looked around and saw his room. The room was a complete opposite of his personality. His entire room was blue and mostly red. There were car posters stuck on the wall. On my left there was a book self, but it was full of games. Perhaps PSP game collection. He was a gamer? On my right was a collection of trophies, maybe he won all of them in his school. But what surprised me the most were the two guitars lying unattended for years in a corner of his room. He played the electric and the normal guitar? I always wanted to learn but I guess I was to busy fighting with life that I never got a chance. But Mom broke my chain of thoughts. "I know you can't believe that this was Manik's room ever." We both sat on his bed when Mom looked at me, "Beta Manik was not always like this. He used to be fun and every smiling boy. He was fearless. Do you know, he barely knew how to walk. You will always find him jumping around in the house." She was happy to recall the old Manik. But I could not believe a thing she was saying. "But as he grew up, he started understanding the meaning of adoption. His class mates and others always teased him about the fact that he was adopted. But for us he was the same as Mukti. I guess my happiness lived only for a short while. He started growing apart from us and we didn't even realise." There was sadness in every word she spoke. She stood up and went towards the trophies.