Chapter 35

Nandani's POV
This is not what I wanted but I guess you don't always get what you want in life, specially not me. Chachi was right, I am rubbing off my bad luck and cursed fate on Manik too. He was probably the only person who loved me on this planet and I will not bear it if anyone tries to harm him, even if it's me. I have to go away from his life. But I am sorry mom, I sold your last belongings that I had. I can never forgive myself for selling off your jewellery but I needed to get rid of every reason that Manik could hold onto me. He asked me for a day's time and I agreed, not for him but for me. In this one day I want to gather all the memories that I can so that I could spend my entire life with his memories.

I woke up and saw Manik wasn't on his bed. He was still recovering from his injuries and why is he moving around so much. I went out and looked for him but he was no where. Where had he disappeared so early in the morning. Mom, dad and Mukti seemed to have not woken up yet, so they wouldn't know about it either. Let me call, but I can't. I can't let him know my feelings anymore and neither can I let him confess. The only option is for me to wait. Let me make breakfast for everyone for the last time.

Everyone had sat down on the table to have the breakfast when all of a sudden Manik walked in from outside. He walked fast with a straight face towards me. I didn't know what he was going to do but it was scaring me. He grabbed my hand in front of everyone and dragged me in our room. His grip was hurting me but I let him do whatever he wanted to. He pushed me softly into the room and closed the door. He then slammed a file on the table and looked at me.

"Sign this." He said and passed me a pen.

"What is this?" I asked.

"It's a legal statement stating that you are leaving on your own and we have got nothing to do with each other. I don't want you coming back and creating a scene or claiming me as your husband." Manik said without looking at me. Did he actually think like this about me?

"You know I wouldn't do that." I said not able to believe his actions.

"I don't trust you." He said.

It hurt my heart to know that he didn't love me, whatever I felt was just something in my head. Without thinking about anything  and controlling my tears I took the pen and signed it.

He took the papers and grinned at me. Then he walked extremely close to me and pinned me to the wall. "You can't leave this house anymore. We just legally registered our marriage, you are officially my better half." He again grinned and left the room.

It took me a few minute to realise what had just happened. He tricked me, he doesn't want to let go. But this can't happen, I have to go. I am sorry for what I am going to do next but it's necessary. I followed him into the hall and started to create a scene in front of everyone. "So you still want to tourture me. Haven't you had enough!" I said and took everyone by surprise.

"Nandani, not here. We can talk about this later." Manik said. I knew he didn't want his parents to know about all this but this was the only way.

"Why Manik, don't your parents have the right to know about it. Don't you want to tell then how you got married to me, what you did with me after our marriage, how you treated me? Manik, I did everything as you said, I even paid you back the amount that I owed. Now I want my freedom, I can't stay with you anymore. It's suffocating me everyday." I said with tears rolling down my face as my words were hurting me more than anything else.

"Nandani, now you won't have to. At first I had a different opinion about you but as I got to know you I realised how wrong I was. Please give me one chance, I want to tell you that I...." I knew what he was going to say and I had to stop it.

"Enough Manik. I don't care what you thought about me or what you think about me now. I just want my freedom and that's it." I said but mom came and tried to explain to me.

"Nandani beta, just for once let Manik explain himself. Do you really think Manik hasn't changed from the time he had first met you?" Mom was right but I have to end this and the only way is to hurt his feelings.

"He can never change, he will always be the monster that I had seen in him. I don't think he even deserves anyone in his life. I am not like you guys who are still hanging onto him after everything. He is selfish and the only thing that matters to him is himself, only. He married me because he wanted to, he treated me bad when he wanted to and he is doing this new drama again because he wants to but what about me? Don't I have a choice, don't I get to chose what I want in my life. And he is the last person I ever want in my life. He has only given me pain and now I want to live my life. I don't care what he wants." I said with the utter most confidence looking into his eyes. He didn't react for few minutes and just looking at me, hoping that it was all a lie. But finally he looked on the floor for few seconds as if controlling his tears and then looked away and spoke.

"Here, you can have these papers. They still need to be submitted for the legal process. You are free to do anything you want to....with them. And you are also free to make a choice this time. I am sorry for what I had done with you before and now you are free to go. You can leave anytime you want to." He said all this without looking at me and left. He walked away. It was over, I had got what I wanted and it was time to leave because this is how it was meant to be. I went to my room and got my bag and was ready to go when I stopped to say my last goodbyes to them.

"Mo....Aunty, I am sorry if I ever hurt your feelings and If possible please forgive me for all this." I said and hugged her.

She broke the hug and said, "Beta, is it necessary to go? Manik really..." I stopped her before she could say it.

"Don't worry aunty, he will be fine." I said hoping for it to come true.

"Please don't call me aunty." She said with tears rolling down from her eyes.

I nodded my head in approval and moved to dad. "Thank you dad. I always used to miss my parents but after you guys walked in my life, you had seemed to compensate for them. And I am sorry for all the mess I have created." I said folding my hands in front of him.

"It's not at all your fault." He said and hugged me.

"Mukti, thank you for always being there." I said and she to hugged me.

"Nandani please, Manik needs you." She said.

"I don't think that Monster needs me when he has all of you." I said and walked out of the house without looking back.

Just as I was about to step out of the house, Manik appeared which made me hug him. This was it, our story ends here. I took in all the warmth I could from his embrace and moved to my left side and walked away without looking at him. Because I knew if he had asked me to stay back now, I wouldn't be able to deny.

Ranjhan dhoondhan main chaleya
Ranjhan mileya naa ye...
Jigraan vichon agan laga ke Rabba
Laqeeran vich likh di judaai

Kho gaya, gum ho gaya
Waqt se churaya tha jo
Apna banaya tha..
Ho tera, woh mera
Saath nibhaaya tha jo
Apna banaya tha..

Chadariya jheeni re jheeni
Aankhein bheeni ye bheeni ye bheeni
Yaadein jheeni re jheeni re jheeni

Aisa bhi kya milna, saath hoke tanha
Aisi kyun sazaa humne hai paayi, Ranjhana ve
Phir se mujhe jeena, tujhpe hai marna
Phir se dil ne di hai ye duhaai, Saajnaa ve
Laqeeron pe likh di kyun judaai..

Gair sa hua khud se bhi, na koi mera
Dard se karle chal yaari, dil ye keh raha
Kholun jo baahein, bas gham ye simat rahe hain
Aankhon ke aage lamhe ye kyun ghat rahe hain
Jaane kaise koi sehta Judaaiyaan.

Chadariya jheeni re jheeni

Aankhein bheeni ye bheeni ye bheeni
Yaadein jheeni re jheeni re jheeni

Ranjhan dhoondhan main chaleya
Ranjhan mileya naa ye...
Jigraan vichon agan laga ke Rabba
Lakeeran vich likh di judaai..........