Chapter 8: Deceived by fate

Nandani's POV
I woke up as my body was surrounded by too much heat. My whole body was sweating as if I was put into oven. How did I end up in this room. I was in the garden then. Did that Monster bring me here? And this extra blanket, where did it come from.

"Manik......Manik......Manik," a voice was coming out from the room. Who was it? Who had the guts to challenge the Monster in his own den? I walked out to see it was Mukti. "Manik......where the hell are you?" Mukti screamed on the top of her voice. I had never seen Mukti so furious. She walked towards me as she saw me.
"Nandani, so it's true. All the marriage drama was true? What did Manik do?Where is he?" Mukti said to me in disbelief. Just as she put her hand on her head worryingly, I noticed the big bandage she had on her wrist.
"Mukti what's wrong, why are you so hyper and what happened to your hand." I asked as her wound looked serious. She hesitated to tell me, when the Monster roared from upstairs.
"Tell her Mukti how you got the wound! Why are quite now." The monster for once seemed to be caring for someone. He walked down the stairs and stood between us.
"Manik that's not important now, but what you did with Nandani. To stop Abhi's wedding you yourself got married to Nandani. Do you even realise what you have done?" Mukti's eyes were flaming in anger.
"No one is ever more important to me then you Mukti. And because of her today you are in this condition. And If I didn't marry her, then Abhi would have." They were talking about me, infront of me, yet ignored me.
"What?" Was all I could say to make sense out of the situation.
"Don't pretend to be so innocent, I know you must have trapped Abhi in your plan and forced him to get married to you. But I will never let anyone destroy my sister's happiness. What did you think that you will separate Mukti and Abhi? You left no stones unturned to get married to Abhi, Infact I would have never known about all this if Mukti hadn't cut her wrist." Manik spoke with the utter most hatred for me and pure love for his sister.
I looked at Mukti in shock as her stupid doings were unfolding in front of me. But before I could say anything Mukti started to defend me.
"Manik, she doesn't even know about Abhi and me. In fact she asked Abhi so many time if he was happy with the marriage but it was our mutual decision. We agreed as Abhi couldn't go against his parents. Because he always told me that he could give up his love as he chose it but cannot give up his responsibilities as he was born with it. And I slit my wrist because I promised Abhi to be with him in his decision but the pain of him going away was too much for me to handle. Manik..... what have you done!" Mukti finished as tears were continuously rolling down her face remembering her moments with Abhi.
But all of this was like an unbelievable set of events that my brain rejected to dissolve in. I stood there angry and frustrated as my fate had deceived me again.
"Mukti you don't know girls like her. I know them very well. They emotionally blackmail you and use you. And once they are done, they throw you in a dustbin and walk away and then you will be left with only loneliness." Manik spoke to Mukti trying to calm her down and wipe her tears away.
But I had had enough. He spoke about me as If I was a road standing s**t, who only craved for money. So what if I wasn't as rich as the Monster, it didn't mean that I did not have self respect. "Stop it Mr Malhotra. Don't you dare ever speak about me with your filthy mouth. Couldn't you talk to me about all this, I would have happily called off this wedding. Then why did you do all this. Mukti we were friends, and you know that marriage, boys,love was never in my list. This marriage was just a compromise for me so that I could..........you know what, I am leaving. I can't stand this man anymore. After making my life hell, he still thinks that I am at fault. I am tired of hearing shit about me, everyday. I can't take this anymore. And about the money I owe you, I promise I will return every bit of it with interest." I finally get to let my emotions out. My limit of tolerance had now reached it's peak as I leave to my room to get my belongings.

Manik and Mukti were still talking about something when I proceed towards the door with my bags. But before I could leave, Mukti kneeled down in front of me. She folded her hands and began, "Nandani, please don't leave this house. Just stay here for few days....." But before Mukti could complete, the Monster took over.
"Mukti girls like her don't understand things like this. They only understand the language of money. I will pay you for everyday that you spend in this house." Manik said as he made Mukti stand on her feet.
But my anger had taken over me as he left on chances to taunt me. "Mr Malhotra, yes I need money, I need a lot of money but not at the stake of you insulting me like this everyday. You and your money can happily stay together." I again proceed to leave but Mukti held my hand.
"Nandani, please stay here. This news has reached to my parents and they are very excited about it. My dad just has started recovering for his heart attack and If he finds about all this then I don't know what will happen. Please Nandani, I beg you. I can't loss my dad, you know how it feels. And we will do something, this drama will not go on for long." Mukti pleaded to me.

I very well knew how life without parents was and I couldn't let this happen to Mukti. If she could slit her wrist for Abhi, then what would she do if something happened to her parents. I agreed to whatever Mukti had planned as her parents were returning tomorrow from America after going for their last check-up.