Chapter 22

"Mr Malhotra, you can sleep on the bed. I will manage here." Nandani said. She didn't realise but Manik had created a soft corner in her heart.

Manik too was surprised as last time there was a huge disagreement regarding this matter. But he agreed to her and soon when to sleep, while Nandani made her bed on the floor.

Nandani's POV
Wow!! I don't know what else I will have to do because of this marriage. Get ready to break your back now Nandani. I slept on the floor, but after a while I just got up as I could barely sleep. There was a small balcony attached to Manik's room so I thought of sitting there for a while.

As I sit I recall all the things that happened today. The day was longer then the usual. But I wouldn't have been able to go through it, if this Monster wasn't there to help. He is not a bad person, just a little impulsive. Otherwise who can only love their parents, no fights, no disagreements. I mean I remember I always ended up picking fights with my parents, not major one but just on small things. And there is this Monster. He would be ready to do anything for them if they asked, sometimes even that was not required. I saw him sleeping. I wish he could show this side of his, so there would be more people loving him. But I can't believe this, for the first time I am not angry or sad thinking about him. Rather smiling about it.

I guess I had fallen asleep, but what was I doing on the bed? I looked around for Manik but he was no where. Just then as I got up I saw him, sleeping on the floor on his front while the blanket was all over him. Why is he being so nice all of a sudden, or am I just assuming things?

I had woken up early so I though of making breakfast for everyone. It's been long since I had cooked. So I quickly got ready and went into the kitchen. But the biggest problem was deciding on what to make. Manik's family was a full on Punjabi family while I was a South Indian. I took my phone out and searched for few food items. Finally I had made up my mind and started making food. Just as it was time everyone started to come and sit on the table expecting Rammu to serve them.

"Rammu, please bring the breakfast." Mom called out as she handed Dad a newspaper.

"Mom, have you seen Nandani. She is no where in the house." Manik asked. It kind of felt nice to know he was worried for me.

Just then I moved out of the kitchen with a tray of food in my hand. "Here is your breakfast mom." I said as I placed it on the table. Everyone looked happy that I had made the food while Manik looked relieved to see me.

Dad smelt the fragrance of the food and asked, "Aloo Paratha?" I nodded and he jumped in joy. He quickly grabbed the paratha's and started eating them. I was nervous to know if he would like it, and to my surprise he loved them. He praised me at every bit he took. It reminded me of how my dad was so similar to him.

Everyone looked happy with my breakfast and then Mukti spoke, "Nandani get ready we will leave for shopping now."

Mukti was to stubborn so I agreed and went along with her while Manik went to office.
End of POV

Manik instead of going to the office, went straight to the Ashram. "Is this Dr Mehta's Cabin?" Manik asked as he knocked.

"Yes, its me you can come in." He replied.

"I am here to talk about a patient, Rishab? His advance has still not been paid." Manik said.

"I am sorry but I cannot tell you anything about my patient unless you are a family member."

Manik took a cheque out of his blazer and handed it to him. "Here is the advance. Now nobody will ask Nandani for it anymore. And please make sure that she doesn't find out that it's already been paid. Just tell her that the board has given her a year's time." Manik said with a serious face.

"But why would you pay for Rishab. As far as I know, Nandani is the only family he has." Dr Mehta asked.

"I am her husband. Now please don't ask anymore questions. And make sure she does not find out that I had come here." Manik said as he left the place.

After shopping Mukti went home while Nandani went to the office as she had to finish up few things. She entered Manik's cabin and sat on her work space to finish her work. Manik also kept quite and finished off his work as they won't be here for a week. Although his dad would visit and take care of things, he didn't want to leave too much for him.

As Nandani almost finished her work, she thought of calling the ashram and giving it a last try.

"Hello, Dr Mehta?" Nandani said. Manik looked at her as she mentioned about Dr Mehta.

"Please can you try speaking to them......."

"What!" Nandani said in excitement as stood up from her seat.

"It wouldn't have been possible without you. Thank you so much doctor." Nandani said as she hung up the call.

Manik was a little scared, what if Dr Mehta had told her about it. He too stood up and went closer to her. "What happened Nandani?" He asked.

Nandani was too happy so she hugged Manik, "Manik, there was a movement in Rishab's legs. This means that the treatment is working. I am so happy Manik." Nandani said as she still hugged him.

Manik was surprised at the sudden hug but was happy for her. He had never seen her so happy. He too hugged her and pulled her closer. "I am so happy for you Nandani."

They stayed like that for a while but realised what had happened so they slowly withdraw themselves.  Nandani looked down in embarrassment while Manik looked here and there. But no other feeling mattered to Nandani today so she spoke again, "Manik, I mean Mr Malhotra. They have also given me more time for the payment." Nandani said as she looked into his eyes.

"Nandani........, please call me Manik." Manik said surprising Nandani.

Nandani nodded and smiled and got back to her work so did Manik. Nandani was very happy as she could now go on the trip without any worries. She thought of withdrawing some cash from the money she had saved to give Manik so that she could use it on the trip.

They quickly finished their dinner and packed for tomorrow.

Nandani again made a bed down but this time Manik stopped her. "Listen it's ok, you can sleep on the bed. I will sleep here." Manik pointed towards a couch in the room.

Nandani had not noticed it, but Manik had gotten a couch placed in the morning.

Nandani nodded and said, "Good night Mr.......Manik."

Manik smiled to himself while he faced the cupboard and said. "Good night."