Chapter 34

Manik's POV
I opened my eyes slowly and saw Nandani sleeping in an upright position on the couch. It seemed as if she hadn't slept the whole night. I tired to sit up on the bed but my whole body ached. Just getting myself into the upright position got me so exhausted. I wanted to walk up to Nandani and carry her to bed so that she could comfortably sleep but I guess the distance was to much between us. In this condition it had become impossible for me to cover the distance. But I thought of giving it a try. I moved side ways and tried to get up. Due to the extreme pressure on my legs, I was almost about to loss my balance when Nandani came and held me from falling but she too couldn't take my weight and fell with me onto the bed.

I placed one hand onto her waist and the other I used to clear the hair that were blocking her beautiful eyes. Her eyes were the most captivating thing but she was stealing glances from me. She got up in a swift movement. "I will get you breakfast." She said and try to go but I stopped her.

"I need to brush and bath before breakfast." She perhaps realised this and came back towards me.

"I will help you." She said. But I noticed a weird change in her behaviour. What was wrong with her? She placed my left hand over her head and made me stand on my feet. I stood and walked towards the bathroom with her support. I leaned on to the wall and she got a chair for me to sit right in front of the basin so that I could brush my teeth. She waited there silently. It was so not her to remain so quite, what had happened? Maybe I should ask mom about this. After I completed brushing my teeth, she helped me stand up and she again took the chair and placed it under the shower. "You take a shower and call out for me when you are done. I will come inside." She had placed my clothes and towel in and went out. Did something happen when I fell asleep early yesterday? Why is she behaving like that. Is she still scared about my accident? Then I should help her out with this. Get ready Nandani, now you will get to see a different side of yours truly Monster Manik.

After bathing I wore my clothes and purposely didn't wear my t-shirt.

"Nandani, I am done." I called out to her.

She came in just as soon as I called her. Since I didn't wear anything on top, she thought I was completely undressed so she looked away. "Don't worry, you are not so lucky to see me like that yet." I said trying to tease her. She slowly turned and saw me only in my tracks. "I needed help to wear the t-shirt so...." I saw that my teasing was not affecting her at all. She came forward and took the t-shirt from my hand and started helping me to wear it. I looked at her, hoping that I will get to see the spark that she had in her eyes when ever she looked at me but she didn't even look at me for once. Something was seriously wrong, otherwise Nandani would never behave like this. She carefully took me out of the bathroom and placed me onto the bed. Again she tried to run away but I held her hand. "Nandani, did something happen?" I asked. But she again ignored me and got her hand out of my clutch.

"I have to make breakfast." She said and went away.

I wasn't able to understand the reason behind all of this. Then something struck to me, Rishab. I quickly took my phone from the side table and dialled Dr Mehta's number.

"Hello doctor, Manik here." I said.

"Mr Malhotra, how are you?" He said.

"All good doctor, just wanted to know Rishab. How is he? Is he doing good." I asked.

"He is absolutely fine. In fact he is making a great progress. I was wondering why Nandani hadn't called since 2 days but I am glad you called." He replied.

"Okay thank you doctor." I said and end the call.

If not Rishab, then what is the matter?

The entire day passed. Everyone came and visited me but Nandani maintained her distance. I waited for her at night but she didn't come to the room at all. I guess because of the medication I had slept early. Now that I opened my eyes in the morning, I saw Nandani taking something out of her bag. I sat on the bed but she walked towards the door. "Where are you going so early in the morning." I asked as she was ready to go out with her purse.

"I have some work. Will be back in few minutes." She said and closed the door before I could ask her anything else. There was defiantly something fishing so I took my phone and called Virat.

"Yes Sir." He said.

"Virat, Nandani is going out somewhere. I want you to follow her and inform me what she does. Report everything she does to me." I instructed him.

"Yes sir. I will call you as soon as I find out about it." He said and hung up on me.

Today I was much better then yesterday, slowly but I was able to move around without any support. I went to the bathroom and got ready. Just then my phone rang and it was Virat.

"Yes, tell me. Did you find anything?" I asked.

"Yes sir, ma'am had come to some jeweller in South Mumbai. She sold her jewellery for 15 lakhs and she took a cash payment." He said.

I quickly stood up and checked the cupboard to see if she sold all the jewellery mom had gifted her. But to my surprise everything was in it's place, rather untouched. So what jewellery did she sell? "Virat, I want you to buy all of the jewellery and bring it to me. Make sure Nandani doesn't find out about it." I instructed him and end the call. What was she upto? If she needed money then she could have asked me. And why did she need such a big amount? Only she can answer my questions now.

After about an hour she came in my room with breakfast. "What important work did you have early in the morning?" I asked as she placed the breakfast tray on my lap.

"I went to see Rishab." She said and stood away from me. I knew she was lying but why? Should I confront her, maybe not now. "Mr Malhotra, I wanted to talk to you about something. Can we talk at night?" She asked. For the first time she looked at me but her eyes were emotionless. They were blank. And where did 'Mr Malhotra' come back from. I nodded my head in a yes and she again left the room. As she walked out, the flashback of her leaving my hand when she saw her chachi ran through my head. The same fear that ran trough me that time was again getting in me. She was scaring me, what did she want to talk about?

The whole day passed with a great difficulty and took forever. I impatiently waited for the night but there was some fear in me. What was it going to be about? I had dinner downstairs with the whole family and then went up my room, while Nandani cleaned up everything in the kitchen. I sat on the bed and waited for her. After 30 long minutes she came in the room. First she gave me that blank look and then she got her handbag and placed bundles on money in front of me.

"This is 25 lakhs that I owe you." She said. I looked at her but again I wasn't able to understand what she was trying to do.

"Nandani all...." I tried to speak but she stopped me.

"Please, let me finish. This is the 25 lakhs rupees that I owed you and now I am free." She said. Free, free from what? Free from me? "You said that the day I pay back your debt I can walk out of this house  and you won't stop me. So it's today. I want to leave this place by tomorrow, so I think you should tell the truth to your parents." She said this shocking me to the core.

"And what about our marriage?" I asked as this was the only thing that could stop her.

"Well there is nothing about it. There are no evidences that we got married, neither is there any legal registration that states that we are legally married so you don't have to worry about it." She said.

I couldn't believe a word she said. But I knew there is something else going in her head which she wasn't telling me. And at this moment, if I argued with her then she would take it somewhere else so I need to think of something else to stop her. There was no way I could let her go away from my life, not now when I am busy planing to confess.

"Okay, fine. But I want you to give me a day's time so I can tell mom and dad about it." I said with a plan plotting in my head. She looked at me as if she hadn't expected this reply but then acted normal and shook her head in approval. She went and slept on the couch and faced the other side again hiding from me. But I need to put my plan in action now, only then will I be able to stop her from going away.