Chapter 33

Nandani's POV
We ran into the hospital but I still believed that this was not related to Manik. Nurse showed us room No.519 and I stopped as I saw my life lying on the bed. My breathing stopped, my heart broke as I saw Manik lying lifelessly through the glass window. Mom broke down as soon as she saw Manik. Dad tried to console her but he himself was losing it seeing his son in the room. Just then a doctor came out, "Mr Malhotra, we have operated on Manik and he is out of danger. He will gain his consciousness in the next 8 hours. Just relax and make sure that you don't give him stress when he wakes up. It might affect his health." Dr Sinha said.

"Sinha, can we see him?" Dad asked.

"Yeah, you can go in. Stay strong." Dr Sinha said and left.

Mom and dad went in but I stopped by the door. I didn't know why. Was it because I still couldn't believe that it was Manik on the bed or was it something else. Tears wouldn't stop falling from my eyes because my heart was crying out this time. I had already seen two people I love the most in sleep and never open their eyes, I won't believe that he is fine till he opens his eyes and calls out to me.

"Beta, what happened? Come in, Manik needs you." Mom said as she sat next to Manik.

I managed to gather some courage and sit on the other side besides Manik. Every minute seemed like a life time. I held his hand in mine and waited for him to open his eyes. I asked mom to sit comfortably on the couch placed in the room and I would call them once Manik gains his consciousness.

This was for the first time that I didn't like the view of him sleeping. It was no longer peaceful, but horrifying. I didn't know when he would regain his conciseness, when would he tighten his grip on my hand. I looked at his face for hours and hours to just get one movement from him with tears rolling down continuously. I softly cared  his forehead with my other hand just the way he did yesterday to get me into sleep, but I just wanted him to wake up. After I don't how many hours, he moved his fingers in my head. He was moving his eyes in attempts to wake up. I called out to mom, dad and Mukti and they all came running to see him.

His grip tighten on my hands as he held it. He opened his eyes and smiled. I so wanted to kill him for smiling at such a moment, who can think of smiling when they wake up after facing death. He tried to get up and sit on the bed. Mom and I helped him sit upright. "Manik." Mom cried and hugged him. He still held my hand and hugged mom with the other.

"Mom, I am fine. Just a little hurt. Now stop crying." Manik said to console mom.

"Mom I told you, he did all this just to get attention. Manik, you always get the most attention from mom, wasn't that enough that you pulled up such a great stunt." Mukti said trying to lighten up the atmosphere but she too broke down.

Manik left mom and hugged Mukti who was crying like a new born child. "Stop crying Mukti, otherwise I will click your pictures and post it on SNS. Do you want your strong and bold image to break?" Manik said hugging her.

"Manik." Mukti softly punched him on his chest and left.

"This time you scared me Beta." Raj said.

"Dad, nothing can happen to me because I have such an amazing family. And how can I leave you all so soon. It's not possible." Manik said.

He looked at me hoping to hear my feelings but I couldn't. If I would just utter a word, then I would end up breaking down. I looked away breaking the mini eye lock we just had. Slowly I tried to remove my hand from his clutch but he held it even tighter. "Dad, please can I go home. I don't like to stay in hospital." Manik said.

"Yes beta, don't worry. I will go ask for permission." Dad said but I stopped him.

"Dad, you don't worry. I will go ask the doctor and also complete all the formalities. You can stay here with Manik." I said.

Manik's POV
I saw how she was trying to avoid looking into my eyes and trying to get her hand free from my hold. I saw the pain in her eyes when she looked at me. I saw how hard she was trying to control the tears from falling. I needed to talk to her but when we are alone, so I asked dad to take me home. He agreed but Nandani insisted to go and I let her.

I noticed how she looked away all the time when we traveled back to home in dad's car. "Manik, tell us  what happened. How did this accident happen?" Mom asked as they took me in my room, but first I need to have some alone time with Nandani. "Mom, can't we please talk about all this later. I have a little head ache, I think I need to take some rest."

Nandani helped to put the blanket over me and tried to go out with the others but I held her hand. "Nandani, I think I will need your help." I said. Nandani faced the other side so I couldn't read her face but mom, dad and Mukti chuckled and left the room and closed the door.

I pulled her so that she landed on top of me. She placed her hands on my chest and I held her waist. "So you are not happy to see me fine." I said. She looked straight into my eyes and the tears made it's way out of her eyes. Before I could realise anything, she hugged me and sobbed hard. "Manik, don't ever say that. I was so scared, I though you would not open your eyes just like my mom and dad. That's why I held your hand so that at least I could feel your pulses. Do you even know how scared I was. And you are such an idiot, who smiles like that after waking up from an almost death experience." She said punching me softly on my chest.

I hugged her back and stayed in the moment for few minutes. Then I held her face with my left hand and made her look at me. "But why were you scared. Amn't I your Monster Manik?" I playfully asked.

"Yes, you are. In fact, you are now Monster Monkey Manik Malhotra." She said like a baby. But I wanted to hear something else.

"But why were you scared for me? You used hate me right?" I asked trying to get her to tell me about her feelings as at the moment my plans had to be cancelled as I even struggled to walk without any support.

The way she looked into my eyes, it felt as if we had entered a world of our own. She was about to say something, when the code-less phone rang. She smiled and blushed and left to attend the call.

Nandani's POV
I would have just confessed all my feelings if this phone didn't ring. I mean I wanted to tell him but I wanted him to first confess. It's the guys that always confess first, then why should I be the first one.

I picked the call, but mom had already picked up the call.

"Hello." Mom said.

I though to drop the call but I stopped as I heard the other person on the call.

"Hello, Shanno speaking. I heard about Manik, how is he now." Chachi asked.

"He is fine now. We got him home just now." Mom replied.

"Nyonika, it's still not to late. I am telling you to get rid of that Nandani. She will ruin your son's life. This time Manik survived but what will happen next time. I am telling you, she only brings bad luck with her where ever she goes. She will end up taking Manik's life. Since when don't you believe in all the superstitions?" Chachi said. She brought back all the things that happened yesterday. But this time she was perhaps right. Is it actually because I am cursed.

"Shanno, look I don't know what problems you have with Nandani, but she can't be the wrong choice for Manik. In fact no one could have been better then her for Manik. And let me tell you one thing, I am only talking to you because you were once a good friend to me. If it was someone else than I would have done something so bad that even I wouldn't know after how you had behaved yesterday with my daughter-in-law. So please make sure that you don't call on this number from now on." Mom said and dropped the call.

I too dropped the call and went back to the room. Manik was sleeping, I guess the medication was showing it's effects. I sat on the couch and thought of everything that Chachi had said yesterday and today.