5

Kaity was curling my hair as we sat on the floor getting ready for tonight. All we had to do was finish my hair and then you know, drive to the club. 

"You know who's in town for a concert?" She squealed. 

I let out a light laugh, "Who?" 

She paused for second finishing off the last curl, "The Red Hot Chili Peppers.." Her words slipped out slowly, emphasizing each one, "Your favorite." 

My heart skipped several beats as I tried to process what she was saying. "No fucking way," I said. I spun around on my butt to look her in the eyes. 

She nodded her head, purring the word "Yes." 

I blinked over and over again, thinking about how much love I had for those gives and their psychedelic sex-funk. 

"Maybe we'll see them tonight...!" Kaity said winking at me as she stood up. 

I snorted, "Don't get your hopes up, babe." I slipped into my black ballet flats and grabbed my clutch as I followed Kaity outside to my car.

As we pulled up to the club, I had second thoughts. Music was blaring from the building, coming out in pulses. Colorful lights were flashing from the windows and it screamed, "Drugs, getting pushed around, snobby bitches, sloppy men, not Lilly's life." I pulled the key out of the ignition, skeptically getting out of the car. 

"Make sure you lock it," Kaity said leaning over the car, hushing her voice to a whisper, "We're in a bad neighborhood." 

I laughed, "Come on Kaity, it's not like we're going to raped." She raised her eyebrows and then darted for the door. I sighed and followed her inside.

It was worse than I expected. I felt like I was at a Frat party times ten. Underage girls were jumping around drunk, with their clearly drunk friends, singing along to Marky Mark's Good Vibrations. Guys were grinding up against drunkenly to other drunk girls who were practically half naked. Basically, if you're not getting this yet, the place screamed sex and alcohol. 

Kaity grabbed my hand and pulled me onto the dance floor. She started swaying along as I just stood there, completely unamused. Part of me was ashamed. Come on Danielle, dance! How are you going to get a guy if you just stand here? They're going to think you're a freak! Live a little!  

But the other part, the part I liked better, was saying, Who fucking cares? Fuck this! 

I smiled at Kaity and dodged her grasp as I made my way to the bar. If I was going to have to be here tonight, I might as well enjoy the beer. I sat down on the stool as the bartender made his way over to me. 

"What can I get for you, pretty lady?" Please don't, dude. 

"A beer." He nodded and pulled a bottle from the mini fridge underneath the counter, placing it in front of me. I slid a two dollars to him and took a gulp. 

I spun around to face the dance floor, taking in the really awful scene of socialization. Don't get me wrong, I like talking to people. I like a lot of people, actually. Just certain people. I have a lot of friends in Seattle who like the same music as me. You know the good stuff. Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, RHCP, Nirvana, etc. Those are the people I liked best. These people, who were dancing and probably getting pregnant, were not my people. Half of them usually only had 1 working brain cell that could only process the need for sex, drugs, and alcohol, and the other half were a species I had not studied yet.

A half and hour passed of me slugging around when I decided to take a walk outside. I recycled my beer bottle (Yes, I did.... at a club.) and walked out into the Seattle air I loved so much. I pressed myself up against the cold brick wall and took deep breaths as I closed my eyes. I was on the side of the building away from all the cars, so I wouldn't have to see more of those people who would soon be catching STDs. You can tell I really hate club scenes, right? I was outside for maybe 10 minutes when I figured Kaity would be looking for me. I forced myself to stand up and was halfway to the other side when some guy called me out. 

"Hey beautiful, what are you doing out here?" A man maybe 3 years older than me said as he was walking towards me with a smug grin on his face.