81

On the way home from the salon, Kaity dropped me off at Jack's Music Store so I could hand in my application. The man who took it from me, looked at it with a smile and then looked back at me. "We'll call you and let you know. Thanks for stopping by."
I nodded and waved goodbye as I headed out the door. I hopped back in the car, and did not say a word the whole ride back home. Kaity pulled up in front of my apartments front door and unlocked the car.
"I'll see you then, Lilly. I love you and stay well for me."
We exchanged a smile and my eyes told her that I was thankful for her help, but would never forgive her for this dreaded haircut. She knew this, and laughed a hearty laugh. I produced a giggle or two, but soon enough gave her a smile and headed for the warmth of my apartment.
As I walked up the three flights of stairs, the normal yelling of Chet and Emily, my neighbors from across the hall, echoed throughout the staircase. They had been married for almost three years, and problems had been around since their 1st and a half year of being together. Emily was married at the age of 20, and she was now my age, 23, but a month my senior. Her birthday was coming up in December, which meant mine was due in January.
Speaking of birthdays, today was October 30th. Tomorrow would be Halloween and then low and behold, the following day was Anthony's birthday. And I knew what that meant for me. Nothing good.
***
I sat on the couch, tired and weak. It was 11 o'clock on a Wednesday night, November 1st. The TV flashed its lights of entertainment on my pale face. I stared blankly at the vision of Dirty Dancing playing, stuffing my face with popcorn covered in melted chocolate kisses. Sitting on the end table beside me was three empty beer bottles and a towering glass of chocolate milk. On the coffee table in front of me, Twizzlers, Snickers, Skittles, chocolate bars and containers of hazelnut spread.
I had eaten junk food all day. For lunch it was pizza, and breakfast it was pancakes and gallons of syrup. Tonight, it was the assortment I was devouring by the second. I had managed to only cry a minimum of 12 times today, and I was quite proud of that fact.
I ended up spending the rest of my night eating the junk food, crying over the romance movies I had rented, and thinking of what this birthday might be like if it were spent with me.