135

I got off the phone with John, my eyes still red from crying, and walked back up to the door of the house I had left. My body suddenly felt drained of all of my energy and my spirit was shaking inside of me. I felt weak with the sudden news of the life I was carrying, and the sudden news I would have to tell Anthony. When I crossed the threshold, I heard the murmuring of the midnight cartoons running, and noticed the light from the kitchen was on. I knew Anthony was awake in there. He knew I wasn't in bed, obviously.

I took a deep breath, and closed my eyes. When I opened them, the light was turned off, but the cartoons still played in the background. Anxiously, I walked into the kitchen and saw the cutting board on the counter fresh with the juice from cut up strawberries that sat in a bowl beside the knife used to cut them. I walked over, examining the plump pieces of red fruit when I felt ice cold hands grip my shoulders and then a shriek yell out.

I screamed and pushed myself over to the opposite wall, clutching my sides. Anthony stood, laughing hysterically, so much so that his eyes were glistening with tears. I felt myself grow bitterly annoyed and I sighed and walked passed him and up the stairs. My eyes began to weaken at the sight of my bed and I felt tears swell up. They streamed down when I reached the mattress and I gave in completely.

I heard Anthony come in moments later, his feet scuffing against the floor in our bedroom. I knew he heard my crying all the way from downstairs, which is why he came up, no doubt.

Anthony crept into bed with me, and wrapped his arm around my shaking body. I felt sick, but his warmth instantly made me feel better.

"Lilly, what's wrong?" He whispered softly.

My stomach churned with nervousness and my heart beat rapidly. I took a deep breath.

"I'm.... I'm p-pregnant." I said in between sobs.

Anthony's warmth disappeared. It was replaced with a coldness that I felt in my bones. He let go on my quivering figure and got up from the bed. He paced around, not looking at me, and then slammed his hand up against the doorway, out of what feeling I could not tell. His presence seemed to radiate annoyance, frustration and anger, but I knew Anthony and did not think he would be that way.

He turned his head slightly to face me and his voice was venomous.

"If you're playing a joke, I would end it. Right now."

I broke down into even deeper and louder wails. "I'm not, I'm not. I'm pregnant. Anthony, I'm really pregnant. We're having a baby... We're having a baby..." I repeated the words to myself.

Anthony spun around. Now I knew what he was feeling. Anxiousness, not anger, nor disappointment. Not now, not five minutes ago. He was scared, and excited... apprehensive. He wasn't upset with me.

"How late are you?"

I didn't answer.

Anthony walked to the bed, sat down and grabbed my hand gently. "Lilly, how late are you?"

"Three weeks." I stammered, now getting a hold of myself.

He let out a sigh, and kissed my forehead. I was beyond exhausted by now; just clinging onto whatever energy I had left in me.

"Why are you so upset Lilly? We love each other. I want to have children with you. We're going to raise this baby to be the best person ever. Better than you and I and we will show him or her nothing but love. Don't be afraid Lilly, I know you are. I can tell. You are going to bring me the most beautiful baby girl or baby boy ever, and I will love you no less. We're a family." His tone was soft, but assertive and true.

"I love you." I let out.

"I love you. Now, I want you to know and believe that I am happy," I was watching it happen in his eyes as he spoke, the gentle glow a father's wisdom and love grow in his eyes already. I could see the excitement brewing. It was too happen, that I would have his children and we would raise them to be lovers of the world and protectors of it. "I want nothing more than to raise this kid with you, Lilly Kiedis. I vowed to face any challenge with you from the minute I saw you in the alley and watched you eat your breakfast. I knew I loved you, and I know I will when I watch you push this baby out, and when you change his shit-filled diapers."

My spirits instantly lifted, and I smiled to myself. So did Anthony, letting out a loud excited chuckle.

"We're going to have a fucking baby!" He chanted, absolutely awed.