Kids Having Phones

Now I suppose this topic all depends on what you think of when you think of a 'kid'. Technically I got my first phone when I was child, I mean technically I'm still a child (I think). When I think of kids though, I think of people under the age of 9-10.

I have conflicting views when I think of kids with phones because on the one hand it's useful for children to be aware of how technology works seeing as they'll be growing up in a world surrounded and based on technology, however I also feel like kids should be kids for a while. When I was younger, I used to run around outside and play games with my dolls not go on Instagram and play video games.

I got my first phone when I was 11 and it was like a fake Blackberry because my mum wanted me to call her everyday when I got off the bus. I got my first smartphone when I was 13. It kind of makes me sad when I see that eight year olds have iPhones and use social media because it's just starting things like cyber bullying at a younger age.

But then there's a part of me that understands why some kids get phones at a young age; parents want to know where their kids are. It's safer if a kid has a phone when they go out with their friends because they can always call their parents or emergency services if they need help. The world isn't such a safe place anymore, and sometimes a phone call can be the difference between life and death.

I don't know really, I'm still undecided on this topic.