Perspective

With so many problems in this world, we can't all focus on every problem. As humans, we tend to focus on our lives and maybe the problems we see everyday, and forget about the horrors going on around the world.

While people are angered by Starbucks not making a type of iced coffee anymore, there are children all over the world being exploited in the most disgusting ways possible. I feel like reminding ourselves of these events will make us all much more compassionate and humble people, and truly help us all understand the luxuries we have. I watched Blake Lively's speech about child pornography and felt sick to my stomach but also angered that I wasn't aware of how much of a crisis this is.

I'm not saying that we all can't have our own problems and be concerned about them, but next time you say how crap your life is because you flunked that test or because you spent all your money on makeup, remember what some people live through. It's all about perspective.

The more I learn about the problems faced by people all over the world, the more I want to help. The more I want to raise awareness.  There are children in the Philippines whose parents sell them for sex, there are children in the DRC forced to mine instead of going to school, there are big problems probably on your doorstep. The BBC has recently put out a new series about the true story of rape gang in Rochdale which is in my home country, and something I knew very little about because I was too young to understand the story fully when the story came out years ago.

I'm so sick of listening to the petty complainants of people around me. I'm not innocent at all, I've complained about stupid, pointless things and I'm trying to stop doing that.