People Who Are Unwilling To Learn

There's a difference between being uneducated or ill-informed about something and refusing to learn about something. I strongly believe that we should all learn about different cultures, religions, countries, ethnicities and so on because it makes us more rounded human beings. I think a lot of discrimination and racism that happens in this world could be stopped by education, but the issue is that some people are so unwilling to learn about other people. And that bothers me.

Staying stuck in your own world for your whole life means that you'll just have tunnel vision, and I think we should all have a very broad look on life. You see people making fun of other people because they speak with an accent, or because their English isn't perfect, or because their culture is slightly different, and that just really saddens me. The beauty of this world is that it is so rich in diversity, and that should be celebrated not ridiculed.

Instead of making fun of someone because they are different, people should respect and learn about that different culture. It doesn't take a long time to google something, read a summary about a country, religion, or culture. Just taking time out of our own days to learn about someone else can not only benefit our lives but combat racism, stereotypes and help others to appreciate other cultures.

What really annoys me is every time someone complains about people speaking Spanish or Urdu or any language in English-speaking countries. What do English-speaking tourists do in other countries most of the time- speak English! You don't see people in Amsterdam complaining because some Brits are speaking loudly in English instead of Dutch.

We are all different, and that is one of the most wonderful things that I can think of. Instead of letting cultures be barriers and spark stereotypes, they should start conversations and help educate us all.