Why I Don't Read On Wattpad Anymore

It's seems a bit strange that I'm on Wattpad, a site that is dedicated to reading and writing, and yet I scarcely read anymore on this site. At the minute, the only books I'm reading on Wattpad are 'Hidden In Plain Sight' by the absolute babe xbilliefashx (go check it out) and some of Olga_GOA 's books which are always amazing (if you've never heard of her she is- in my opinion- one of the best writers on Wattpad).

So why have I stopped reading on Wattpad as excessively as I did maybe a few years ago? There are plenty of reasons, and reasons I know a lot of my fellow veteran Wattpadders will know.

1. I feel like I've read all the good stuff out there. Now I know that's not true, and I know that if I looked hard enough I would find some amazing books that I've never read. But after nearly three years on this site I feel like I've read all the books that appeal to me. To me, Wattpad is just crowded with romance books and usually they don't appeal to me. The reason why I love Olga_GOA 's books is because they have quite dark storylines so the romance part doesn't bother me that much. I also like quite specific books- mainly Horror and Crime. If anyone has any good Mystery/ Thriller books or Horror books that don't have hundreds of thousands of reads please comment them, because I feel like I've read all of them.

2. You have to really search for good content these days. Sometimes it feels like I'm just wading through mud when trying to find a good book to read on Wattpad that I haven't already read. Everything feels cliche, or like I've read it before. It's got to the point where I can predict the ending of a book before the author has. I know I'm overgeneralising, but with Wattpad's increasing fame more and more people are joining the site and a quite big portion of these new people are writing the most cliche books I've ever seen.

3. I've gotten tired of waiting for updates. That's why real books appeal to me so much, because the whole book is there. I completely respect and feel the struggle of every writer who is lagging behind on updates, but for me now I just want to read a whole book and not wait months for updates.

I'm not bashing any Wattpad writers, because that would be completely hypocritical. I just felt like venting about this, especially because I get multiple messages a day asking me to read books. So when I reject a reading request, I'm not just being a horrible person I just don't like reading Wattpad books anymore. I also don't like reading on my phone, it hurts my eyes.

Reading this back, I feel like it comes across as quite harsh. Of course there is so much amazing work on Wattpad that I truly appreciate and recognise. It's easy to point out the flaws of a site, and forget about the amazing parts. I have read hundreds, if not thousands, of amazing books on Wattpad (I have no life so I've read a lot).

I kind of made this chapter on a whim and didn't think much about it. That's what happens with most of my rants- I write them when I'm feeling angry or frustrated.

I feel as though a lot of the amazing work on Wattpad is hidden from me, or is inaccessible to me because it's a fanfic about something I have no knowledge of. So there is no disrespect to anyone from this chapter.