Islamophobia

This is quite a hot topic at the minute, and I know that everyone has their own opinions on this topic. What I'm going to say first though is that if you don't have any knowledge of Islam as a religion, I don't want to see any negative comments from you. Do your research and then come back, and if your argument still stays the same then so be it.

I first got taught about the religion of Islam in detail when I was eleven in my philosophy and religion class, and I came out of that module and honestly felt compelled to convert because in my opinion, it is such a beautiful religion. From what I gathered, peace and love are some of the fundamental teachings of Islam. A phrase that reflects on this is As-salamu Alaikum meaning 'peace be upon you'.

I am completely shocked and appalled at the current Islamophobia that is going on around the world, mainly due to ISIS (do we still call them ISIS?). Let me clear something up for anyone who is confused- members of ISIS are not your average Muslims. They are RADICALS, and are not following the teachings of the Qur'an. Take this passage from the Qur'an: and do not kill a soul that God has made sacrosanct, save lawfully. That clearly says that killing is not condoned, yet ISIS have killed hundreds of people.

What a lot of people don't understand is that discriminating and sending hate to Muslims will only cause more Muslims to be radicalised by ISIS. If Muslims in the West feel as though there is nothing attractive about the West anymore and that everyone in it is hateful, horrible and ignorant, ISIS will become more appealing to them. I was watching a documentary that stated that a lot of British Muslims who went to join ISIS had experienced some form of islamophobia which had prompted them to leave.

Every religion has radical groups, yet Christians aren't stereotyped for the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church. So why Muslims?