Amsterdam (I love it but I may die here)

Yesterday I made the five/six hour journey from my home in the UK to Amsterdam for a little family trip, and I really do love it here. The sights are wonderful (minus all the scaffolding at the minute), the people are friendly and actually smile, the history is fascinating and the architecture is wonderful.

But...

I may get run over by any moving vehicle (including humans) at any given time. I knew cycling was very popular in Amsterdam, but what I didn't know is that bikes don't really seem to follow any rules. They go through red lights, people and anywhere that has open space. It's quite scary really. I swear I've already almost got run over just walking on the pavement.

Before I came I obviously knew about the 'coffee shops' that sell weed. I thought the idea that everywhere smells of weed would be like one big stereotype and actually no one would be smoking it. I was wrong. I'm staying in a very central part, so there are literally five 'coffee shops' in a 50m radius and EVERYWHERE smells like weed. Even the room of the place we are staying in smells like weed. It's been infused into every crack and crevice of the apartment. Not judging, but I honestly hate the smell and wish it wasn't so strong everywhere!

But it is a lovely city and I feel very lucky to come here and see the sights. It's very exciting to be in a place I've always wanted to come, and I can't wait to explore more. This was just a little rant/ letting you all know where I'm at in the world. I won't be updating as frequently in the next week because I'll be walking around trying not to die.

[if you live/ have been to Amsterdam please recommend some great things to do and some great places to eat- thank you]