Being 'Offended'

I am one of the people who get sucked down into a downward spiral of binge-watching all kinds of videos on the Internet, and it happens that recently I've been watching a lot of 'SJW Cringe' compilations. If you didn't know, SJW stands for 'Social Justice Warrior'. Sounds pretty cool doesn't it? I would like to specify now that I am a firm believer in equality for all people, regardless of external or internal features. This isn't me bashing any serious movements that are fighting heroically to get equality, but instead the individuals who are tainting the image of these movements.

Everyone is 'offended' these days or 'triggered' by anything. So much so that these words have lost any value, so people that are actually offended or triggered by words or images are not taken seriously. It does seem like some people are just looking to be seen as a victim, and this is actually taking attention away from people who actually need help because they are being prejudiced against.

I remember seeing some tumblr post that said that if someone compliments you by simply saying 'you look nice' or 'your jacket is cool' that is harassment. Really? Someone giving a genuine compliment is somehow harassment in some people's warped view of what harassment is. Can we please realise that by making these outrageous statements, we are detracting value from actual harassment issues? Soon people aren't going to take real issues like harassment seriously because people are being so stupid!

I saw this video where a woman was complaining about how 'unrealistic' the dancers in a ballet commercial were. They are ballet dancers! They have to be physically fit and lean (these dancers were not ridiculously skinny as well, they were toned and muscular) to dance how they dance! It isn't underrepresentation, it is simply showcasing the best ballet dancers out there.

Be offended at things that actually matter, rather than things that will only make your cause look pathetic. There are serious issues regarding race, body image, gender, religion and so much more, if you're going to be offended be offended by something serious.