The Death Penalty

Before I start this rant, I should clear some stuff up. This rant will be 100% from a philosophical standpoint, and won't mention anything about economy or religion (I don't really know if those are categories people use). This is just my point of view, and if you don't agree then I can completely respect your beliefs.

If you didn't know 'the death penalty' is a punishment of execution for certain crimes, and is practiced in countries such as China and America (only in certain states). Now, quick story with my experience with the death penalty. The death penalty isn't implemented in my country, however a few years ago I did a whole module in my Philosophy class about the death penalty and got to see the argument for and against it.

Personally this is a topic that I'm practically on the fence about, but I am probably more certain on one side. I am against the death penalty, meaning I don't support it. And here is why.

1. It doesn't solve the problem. The crime was still committed, and rather than that person do their time and have to face up to what they did they are simply executed. Nothing changes after that for either the victim or criminal. Nothing is achieved.

2. The criminal doesn't even have the chance to reform. For all we know, that person could reform into a whole new person and be beneficial to society. Instead of just wiping them off the face of the earth and forgetting about them, they could be educated and transform into whole new people.

3. It doesn't change the fact that there is still a huge crime epidemic in those countries. It doesn't change the fact the fact that gun culture in countries like America is the real root of the problem in a majority of these crimes committed. It doesn't deter people from committing these crimes, or there wouldn't be a constant swarm of news about yet more murders in America. Gun culture in America is a whole other subject, one which I won't delve into in this chapter.

And that's my opinion. Sometimes I do look at some crimes and feel sick to my stomach, which makes this opinion sway sometimes.

Comment rant topics you'd like to see rants on.