2/ T H I R T E E N

FLASHBACK

4 years ago

.     LUKE

"You wanted to see me doctor?" I said when I finally sat down, trying to catch my breath. When he called me I thought something bad had happened to Elliana and I rushed here as fast as I could but when I saw her peacefully sleeping on the familiar hospital bed, I was relieved.

"Yes, yes. Wow you got here fast!" He weakly chuckled and I nodded.

"I have some bad news. I know it won't be easy to hear, at all, and I just want to say--"

"Just say it doctor." I nervously said.

"Elliana is infertile." He bluntly stated.

"What?" I heard wrong. I must've heard wrong. This can't be true. My Elliana is perfectly fine.

"I'm sorry. I truly am. I know you guys have been going through a lot but since she is finally getting better and her depression is almost gone I didn't want her to hear this."

"This can't be right! My baby is perfectly fine! Why would she be infertile?!" I yelled and suddenly stood up.

"Mr. Hemmings please calm down and sit."

I obeyed not wanting to get thrown out of here.

"You see," he paused and closed the file in from of him. "You told me she had severe anxiety problems in the past and eating disorders. She was super skinny when you first brought her here meaning she hadn't had good food in her system in a long time. She.... had been raped over and over again. So with all these information and things happening to her I was suspicious about this certain topic and I ran some tests. And when I saw the results I immediately contacted you."

I wiped away the tears streaming down my face and continued listening to him.

"What I'm saying is, her body lacks vitamins, proteins and calcium and is weak. Whenever she has sexual encounters that are for getting pregnant, her body is so weak, it can't handle having a fetus feeding from her. So her body thinks it's an unwanted pregnancy or just some hormone problems and excretes the male seeds and her eggs which results in her bleeding them out from her, uh, private area. Which in simple words is miscarriage."

"I-... I... Are you sure? I mean what about in the future? When you know, she gets healthier and has strength and gets better..." I rambled on wiping my tears dry.

"No. I'm sorry. There are problems with her liver, blood, kidneys and other parts that can't be fixed. If she had been treated like how she is now, she may have never been in this state. But--"

"What about IVF?" I interrupted him, ignoring his sentence.

I had read about it somewhere before and I knew it would work. It should work.

"I'm sorry. Look the point is, no matter what you do her body will stay the same. It will still think it's an unwanted pregnancy or hormone problems and just excrete--... I already told you these okay? Luke... I'm sorry. I truly am. You know how hard it is for me to tell you this? It won't work no matter what you do! Don't waste thousands of dollars on something that won't happen..."

.....

.     ELLIE

My eyelids felt heavy. Heavier than usual. I was trying so hard to open them but I was so tired and all energy was drained from me.