2/ T W E N T Y

*unedited*

"I... um... my dad was in the business first and that's why my mother divorced him. Me and James were bound to follow in his footsteps. He was cruel and I don't think it's a good thing to say but I was happy when he died." Harry started after we sat down on the couch.

"James was always so caught up in that shit job and I had to be too. Because he had so many connections that if I turned my back on him, he would've... He was capable of doing anything to anyone not caring if they were family or friends." My heart ached for him as he talked more. His childhood was a mess. He never opened up to me like this and I'm glad.

"So... one day he came back to my house and started yelling in excitement that he had found who he'd been looking for. And I was disgusted. I coulnd't bare dealing with him anymore. So he decided to show her to me and that's when... when he brought me to your cafe." My heart dropped. My stomach churned. It was a blurry memory that I had pushed back but now, it was like an opened wound.

"He told me he met you by accident when he went there to get a coffee and he saw you. Clumsy and cute." He said with a nervous chuckle.

I remember something. Something vague. I remember someone yelling at me for being late to bring them their coffee and everything and I remember it after all this time because he was the only one to get mad at me that much. But who would've thought, right? All the pain and hurt was returning again making me feel suffocated.

"So he encouraged me to go in and meet you after some months of checking in on you from afar himself. I won't lie it was a plan at first but the moment I saw you up close, something ignited in me. An unfamiliar feeling. Something I've never felt before. You were mesmerizing but also, pained? I didn't know why you were so pained and deep in thought back then until... we were close and that night when you came to my house beaten up by your father." He said and his eyebrows furrowed in anger.

I remember it. Clear as the day. How he abused his own daughter and how he made me hate him to no end until this day.

"I remember how my heart ached, how much I was on the verge of dying right then and there when I saw your bloody face. Just imagining what he could've done to you made me want to rip him to pieces. And that feeling... it awakened every single one of my senses... And then I realized that I really liked you."

"I said no lies, no secrets." I said remembering how he told his friends that he didn't like me.

"I'm not lying." He said, confusion written all over his face.

"But what you don't know is that after my own father beat me up and I ran outside with my nose bleeding and my body aching so much that I was on the verge of crawling to your house, I finally got there and guess what I heard? 'I don't even like her'." I said. I thought he already knew at that time that something must've been up. That I may have heard what he said but the expression on his face now, it was nothing like someone who had thought that would have.

"I know... you may think I'm lying to you but, please just listen." He pleaded.

I nodded waiting for him to continue. "If my friends found out, I could've never seen you again." He said with his head hung low.

"Because they worked for James too. Although they did work under me and were my friends but because it was part of the rules, if they knew I liked you they would've told him and he would've done something bad to you!" He said through greeted teeth.

"Didn't he already?" I said as anger was boiling up in me. He was ignoring it.

"Stop bringing that up! I fucking hate it. I fucking hate it and you know it." He said and furiously ran his hand through his hair and stood up.