Fever

My eyes opened to see we got about a day and a half away from Orochimaru's base. I looked to Yuki to see she was obviously tired.

"We'll take a break now." I said and we stopped next to a lake.

I got off Yuki holding the still sleeping child in my arms. Yuki laid down next to a tree and then I noticed the child felt hot. I put my hand to her forehead to see she was burning up. I put her on Yuki who wrapped around her keeping her warm while I went to the lake and froze some water. I broke the ice up and tore off a pice of cloth from my cloths and wrapped the ice in it and placed it on the child's forehead.

I sat by the child tending to her while she slept. I looked down at the child and my chest tightened. This child reminded me so much of myself it hurt. I wanted no pain for her. And despite only knowing this child for a short amount of time I've grown very attached to her. The child began to stir and I placed my hand on her cheek.

"Hush child. No harm shall come to you." I whispered to her and she calmed.

I looked to the sky to see it getting darker so I left Ena in Yuki's care while I went to get fire wood. I wandered through the woods picking up pieces of wood than began my journey back. When I got back to the campsite I looked to the child and she seemed to be doing fine. So I made the campfire and then leaned on Yuri and stroked her fur.

The child began to stir and she woke up. I placed my hand on her forehead and a sigh of relief escaped my mouth when I felt her fever broke. My eyes slightly went wide when I heard the kids stomach growl then a small smile came to my face.

"You hungry. Do you want fish or fish?" I asked.

She simply looked down with sadness in her eyes. I stood going to the lake to find food for the kid and I. I caught four fish and put sticks through them and began grilling them. I sat in front of the fire and looked behind me to see the kid curled into a ball shivering and crying.

"Hey kid come here closer to the fire." I said.

Ena came and sat next to me and brought her legs to her chest and hid her face as her tears continued to flow. I put my arm around her and leaned her against me. She snuggled into me and I began to rub her back. When the fish were done I took two off and handed them to the kid and she ate them. I then pulled another off and threw it to Yuki and ate the last for myself. When we were done eating Ena placed her head on my lap and i stroked her hair. I looked down to her when she started sobbing loudly.

"I'm here to listen if that's what you need." I said.

She looked up at me for a moment probably thinking if she should talk to me but then her eyes softened slightly.

"I just miss my mum. I know she's dead and I'll never see her again. It hurts. She was the only one who cared for me and protected me and she died doing that. It's my fault my mum is dead. I just want my mum back. There's no reason for me to be happy any more. That's was stolen away from me when that snake stole us and did horrible things to us." The child said through sobs.

"It gets better. Trust me. I'll protect you from now on and love you. When we returned to my home you'll be able to be a kid and have friends as well as enemies. You'll laugh with other people as well as cry. You'll have a good life. And I'll make sure that snake never gets his grasp on you again." I said down to the girl.

"Thank you Sora." Ena said falling asleep.

I looked down at her and smiled. She was a sweet child. I just hope she can get past the future hardships to come.