Game Changer:17

Zach:

They called my boarding flight. I sat at the gate for about 5 seconds.

They called it a second time. Every part of my body was pulling me to get up, but my heart was begging me to walk back out the airport.

They called my flight again. I stood up and walked over to the entrance to get onto the plane. I looked back and tried to feel happy, but I just couldn't anymore. I chose to follow what my body and mind told me and forget about my heart. Deja obviously doesn't care anymore...

I got to my seat which was right next to the window. I sighed and stared out the window. A man and his daughter sat beside me. The little girl was about 6 years old and had hazel eyes and dark brown hair. She smiled at me.

"Why do you look so sad?" She asked.

"I miss some people," I replied.

"Then where are you going?"

"I'm going home to my family in Texas."

"You miss your family?" She asked.

"Of course, I do," I said. "I miss them a lot."

"I miss my mom," She smiled. "I hope I see her soon."

"Where's your mom?" I asked.

"Daddy says she's in Heaven." I felt sorry for her.

"Oh..."

"Mommy is an angel now."

"I bet she is."

"Yeah. Do you have a girlfriend... What's your name? Sorry..."

"My name's Zach."

"Oh well then, do you have a girlfriend, Zach?"

"No..." I laughed a little.

"That's enough Deja," Her dad turned and smiled looking at her.

I stopped. My heart stopped.

"Your name is Deja?" I asked.

She nodded.

"I know a girl named Deja," I said. "She's so pretty and beautiful. Kinda like you."

"Is she your girlfriend?" I laughed.

"I don't have a girlfriend, remember?"

"Oh yeah..."

"I wanted her to be my girlfriend..." I said. "I loved her. She loved me..."

I realized that Deja loved me. She wouldn't have been so hurt if she didn't love me. But my chance is gone.

"What happened?" I smiled.

"She deserved better than me," I sighed. She did deserve better. She smiled and touched my hand.

My heart stopped again. Her touch was similar to Deja's. So soft. So sweet.

"Zach, she still loves you."

"What?" She smiled and yawned.

"I'm tired..." She closed her eyes and lied her head on my shoulder.

"She goes to sleep really fast," Her dad smiled and brushed her with his fingers. "I've never seen her so excited to talk to someone. It's like you've known her forever..."

"She does remind me of someone who made me feel like we had been friends forever..."

I turned my head and watched us leave the ground. My heart ached, but pain was starting to become natural for me.