Voicemail:18

Jack:

I called Deja 5 times last night and called her 8 times this morning.

"It's Deja! Sorry I missed your call, but like leave a message and I'll probably call you back!" Her voicemail said before beeping. I hung up again.

I angrily rolled my eyes and set my phone down. There was a knock at my door.

"Jack, mom said breakfast is ready and to come down and eat," Isla's voice rang through the door.

"One second, I'll be right down," I said.

"Hurry, she's kinda mad that she had to send me up here 3 times."

"I'll be down."

"Okay..." I heard footsteps go back down the stairs. I checked my phone again for notifications. It was only 8 am.

"I'm an idiot!" I yelled at myself. Pensylvania is 3 hours ahead of California. I walked downstairs.

My mom sighed as I sat down at the table.

"Jack you know I love you and you're capable of living on your own, but when I ask you to come eat while you're here, I expect you to come and eat," She said.

"Okay, mom. Sorry I just had to check on someone." She nodded.

"Who?" Isla asked. I smiled.

"My friend, Deja," I said. "I haven't talked to her since yesterday morning and I just wanted to know how everything was going for her."

It went quiet. I picked up a strip of bacon and awkwardly ate it.

...

We pulled up at the mall. It was around 12 now here, so Deja should be awake since it's 9 there. I called her phone. She didn't pick up. I started to wonder why she wasn't picking up her phone.

I decided to call her dad. He answered.

"Hello?" I said into the phone.

"Hi, Jack."

"Hi, I was just wondering if Deja was around. I've been trying to call her since last night and she hasn't answered."

"She was hanging out with her boyfriend last night and she hasn't come home. But she did text me that she had Hashbrown and they'd be sleeping over at his house."

"Oh..."

"But I'll tell her to call you when I see her."

"Oh, um, okay," I said. "Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and tried calling her again. This time she picked up.

"Hello?" She said tiredly into the phone.

"Where are you?!"

"What?"

"I've been calling you since last night and you haven't answered."

"Sorry, my phone was on silent all night and I just woke up."

"Where are you?"

"I'm at Jayden's house and can you not be so loud, he's sleeping." She whispered.

"Are you pregnant?" I asked getting looks from people who were walking around.

"What?! Jack, what the heck. No."

"Okay, good."

"Jack, why would you even think that? I thought you trusted me, I thought you trusted Jayden..."