Amnesia:49

A/N: inspired by Amnesia (5SOS) 

Jayden: 

I woke up to find Deja sitting on her bed. She just sat there on her phone. I sat up and looked at her.

"Why aren't you getting ready for school?" I asked. She just shrugged and got up. She walked into the bathroom with a towel and her clothes.

I got up and looked for something to wear. She walked back out dressed with her hair still damp. I got ready, but I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. She seemed so dead and so quiet. I felt confused. I'd ask her questions, but she'd just answer with a nod, shake her head or just plain shrug.

We both got into the car. I stopped at McDonald's to get her a smoothie, but she shook her head when I tried handing it to her. I began to worry. I looked through my phone and Instagram for anything that could've happened last night. There was nothing. 

I texted her dad.

Me: Hey, Mr. Johnson! I know you're at work right now, but Deja is really quiet and she won't talk to me. 

Mr. Johnson: It's the 13th of December.

Me: ???

Mr. Johnson: It's the day her mom passed away. She does this every year. It's like she can't talk or move. She just sits and stares. It's normal, don't worry.

Me: ok 

I looked up and saw that she was staring at the smoothie. I held it up.

"Do you want it?" I asked. She just stared straight again. "Do you want to skip school and go watch movies?"

She looked at me and then looked straight ahead again. I scrunched my eyebrows and I drove to school. She got out of the car, but when I reached for her hand, she moved her hand and walked faster than me. I felt totally rejected.

Chloe tried talking to her, but Deja would just sit there. I explained what was going on. I wanted her to talk to me. I wanted her to tell what she needed and if she needed comforting. We all tried to get her talk or to eat something for breakfast, but she'd just push it aside.

The bell rang and we all separated to 1st period.

...

I waited outside Deja's 3rd period as usual. She walked out and saw me standing there. I walked closely behind her. She walked to her locker and put her stuff away. I followed her and instead of walking straight to the cafeteria, she walked out into the courtyard and just sat on the steps that led to the main doors of the school. I sat down next to her. She quietly sat there for the rest of lunch.

...

I drove home with her after basketball practice. She didn't talk at all during basketball practice. She just stood on the other side of the gym and shot hoops while Chloe rebounded for her. She sat quietly again. I was kind of happy that the day was almost over because I missed the sweet sound of her voice. We walked upstairs to her room. She sat on her bed and stared at the wall instead of automatically doing her homework.

"Babe?" I sat down and she looked at me. "Talk to me, please... I miss your voice." She looked back at the wall like she was watching an episode of Freakish. I sighed.

I lied my head on her chest and played with the hem of her shirt.

"Babe? You're probably not going to talk until tomorrow, but I want you to know that I love you and I miss your voice. I want you to talk to me because I love listening to your soft and sweet voice." I felt something wet his the top of my hand. I looked up and saw that there were tears streaming down her cheeks.