Death:62

Deja: 

The whole school was quiet. 

Everyone heard about Lucas' death.

But not everyone knew how he died.

The Whispers. The stares. The endless question about how he died.

"He was so innocent," a girl said as Jayden and I walked past. "He didn't deserve to die." She was talking to a group of friends who were all studying an article about Lucas.

No one knew the truth. 

No one knew what he did or why he died.

Peyton was at her locker looking absolutely devastated. Her eyes were puffy and her fingers were trembling. Jack told me her parents kicked her out and that she was staying with Erika Costell. Bridget walked up to her. Her eyes also puffy and red. They hugged each other. 

I tried to understand why they were both crying so badly. Peyton got kicked out and Bridget's boyfriend just died.

Jayden grabbed my hand leading me along.

"He's going to hell for what he did to you," Jayden said as I opened the locker.

"Jayden, the poor boy is dead. There's nothing you can do anymore. You don't have to be mad anymore."

"I don't like him touching you."

"Forgiveness, Jayden." He rolled his eyes.

A few police officers were looking through Lucas' locker which was down the hall. Kids crowded around to see what was going on. Jayden and I walked past so we could get to his locker. 

One of the officers stepped aside and something caught my eye. A letter and taped to it was a pregnancy test. I looked at Peyton who was watching with puffy eyes. The police officers started to put it in a ziplock bag when Peyton spoke up:

"Can I keep that?" She asked. Everyone stared at her.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but we have to take this in so we know exactly what happened," one of the officers said. She just nodded and walked off holding her stomach.

I shook my head and pushed aside the thoughts of Lucas being the father of Peyton's baby.

Jayden and I continued to walk along, but I couldn't keep my eyes off of the locker. The pulled out receipts and old papers and pictures. Part of me actually felt bad that he died.

Jayden grabbed his stuff out of his locker. My eyes were glued to the scene that many of the students were surrounding. Jayden grabbed my hands causing me to look at him.

"I know you feel bad, it's normal. But you need to focus on today. Whatever happened after you and Zach left, happened. And it wasn't your fault," he said softly. I hugged him.

"I just feel like I'm the reason he died..."

"No, you're not. You were only a victim of his little game. He hurt you, not the other way around."

I nodded. Jayden held my face in his hands. I just continued to hug him. I didn't want to leave his body, but the bell rang. I walked to my first period. Chloe was already sitting in the classroom socializing with some of the other girls.

I sighed and sat down.

...

I walked out of 3rd period to find Jayden standing there like usual.

We walked to my locker. I put my stuff away not saying a word to Jayden. He was talking about college and apartments and football, but my mind was stuck on Lucas.