Words I Didn't Say:38

Deja: 

I sat in my room. I didn't cry and I didn't sit there and simp over the Jayden and Zach situation. I just sat. I didn't know what to think about and I didn't know what I was doing. I felt so dead and I felt so confused. Nothing seemed to matter.

I stared at my laptop screen. I had an open google doc, but there was nothing on it. I shut my laptop and just sat back in my chair. Never in my life did I ever feel so empty or so drained of thoughts. 

I was starting to feel bad for being so blunt with Zach, but there's no one else to blame. He did technically ruin my relationship. But what I said was the truth and everyone deserves to hear the truth. I told him the truth.

My phone began to ring. It was Jack. I answered it.

"Hello?" I said into the phone.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"I don't know..."

"You sound fine which is weird because most girls would be crying at this point."

"I think I'm dead." He laughed a little.

"Zach's sorry," He said. I sighed.

"I know he is," I said. "And I forgive him for what he did. I'm not the type to hold grudges. But that doesn't mean I absolutely love him and we go back to the way we were. What he said and what he did, left me scarred."

"I'm also sorry..."

"What?"

"It was my idea to put all of that stuff inside of your locker. We were just trying to get you to forgive Zach, but Zach and I didn't mean to ruin your relationship with Jayden."

"It's fine..."

"How's Jayden?" He asked.

"I don't know. He's avoiding me..."

The line went silent.

"Jack?" It was quiet. "Hello?"

And then I heard it. My favorite song on their whole Invitation EP. Words I Didn't Say.

I listened closely and quietly. When they were done singing the song I felt close to tears.

"Deja," Zach said. "I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry. I didn't mean to do what I did to you. This song is my apology to you. The apology for all of the games I played and for all the promises that I broke that caused you to walk away. I never wanted you to walk out of my life and I knew that I wanted you to be in my future when I saw you run up to Jonah on the day you moved to LA. And I knew I lost someone special when you ran out of the old Why Don't We house when I forgot about our promise. But Deja, I never intended to hurt you or put you through pain at all. And I know you're not in love with me the way you were over the summer and that's completely my fault. But Deja, I'm still in love with you and I know you're with Jayden and he treats you a lot better than I do. Just know though, that I'll wait for you as long as I have to. Even if I die, waiting."

"Zach-"

"I will really wait, Deja. I'll wait for you to forgive me, wait for you to love me back. I'll do anything for you to just forgive me. Deja, I beg you-"

"I forgive you," I said laughing.

"Really?!"

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean everything is the same again."

"I know..."

"But we're friends again."

"Promise?"