Letters:63

Deja: 

Jayden left. Bridget fell asleep. I sat alone in the living room waiting for my dad to come home. Brianna was also asleep. I stared at the letter which was sitting open on the table in front of me.

Thoughts were pounding in my brain and I couldn't decide what to do.

Grab it Deja!

Don't grab it Deja!

You need to prove to Zach that it's not his baby!

But you don't wanna hurt him!

He deserves a lot more!

Let him figure it out on his own and stop meddling! 

"His happiness is what matters most," The voice came as if it was in the room with me.

My heart pounded.

I grabbed the letter off the table and ran upstairs. I wasn't allowed in my dad's home office. It was off limits for everyone including Brianna. I walked over and tried opening it. Locked.

If I were dad where would I put the key? I thought. Then it clicked. I opened he and Brianna's bedroom door just a crack. She was asleep. Luckily, she was a deep sleeper. I crawled slowly to a picture of my dad and Brianna on their nightstand. I took off the frame and grabbed the key which was sealed nicely under the back of the frame. 

This was the way he used to hide things that he didn't want me to find when I was younger. I put the picture back on the stand and crawled out closing the door as quietly as I could. I peeked out my bedroom window to make sure he wasn't home. I made sure to leave the office door open so I could hear if he came.

He was the only one in the house with a copying machine. Probably the only person in the neighborhood with one. I walked over and turned it on. I slid the paper on top and copied it.

After getting my copy, I quickly slid out of the office and locked the door. I crawled into their room again and put the key back. I crawled out and met with my dad's shoes.

I stood up slowly.

"What were you doing in our room?" He asked.

"Nothing," I said.

"Deja, you know it's wrong to lie." I tucked the letters into the back of my shirt using the top of my shorts to hold them in place.

"I was looking for something."

"What were you looking for?" He asked.

"A certain picture of mom."

"What picture?"

"The one from your wedding day," I lied.

"Did you find it?" He asked.

"No."

"It's in the garage. Brianna doesn't like your mom's pictures in the house," he said. My heart felt broken at those words. He let my mom live in the garage.

"Okay, I'll look for it tomorrow," I said.

"Okay, what do you need it for?" He asked.

"I need more pictures of mom."

He just nodded and walked into his room. I quickly ran to my room.

I separated the original copy from the copy I just made. I slid the original copy under Bridget's door. 

It was 10:00. I grabbed out one of Jayden's team pictures. Lucas signed it. Jayden had two so he wouldn't mind if one went missing. I slid it into an envelope along with the letter as proof that the letter was from him.