Adoption Agency

Alison pov

We decided to bring Emilia with us to meet the adoption agent. She wouldn't really understand what was going on anyway. Mrs and Mr Fields offered to keep her for the day when we told them we had an errand to run but we thought they could use some alone time since they had barely had any since Mr Fields had returned. Emilia was clinging to her new favourite purple teddy bear Lulu in the back of the car as we drove to Philly to meet the agent at her office. I could see that Emily was nervous as she sat next to me playing with her hands and chewing on her bottom lip.

"Its going to be okay." I reassured her. "If we don't like the woman we are meeting there are plenty more adoption agencies that we can go to."

Emily nodded as she continued to play with her hands.

"Mommy! Ice Cream!" Emilia shouted from the back seat, she was climbing through the straps of her booster seat.

"EMILIA! Sit down!" I panicked.

She looked at me startled as she sat back into her seat. Her blue eyes were wide as she just stared at me.

"We will go get ice cream when we are finished with our errand honey." Emily calmed her.

I pulled up to a small office sitting on its own. It had a brown sign with 'Williamson Adoption' in white across it. Emily opened her door as soon as we stopped. She waited at the bottom of the stairs while I got Emilia out of the car.

Emily pov

The office smelt like a hospital. All of the walls were white and littered with photos of families and babies. Emilia was running up and down the room filled with grey plastic chairs while we waited on the adoption agent to come out. I stared at all the photos of the happy families knowing that I would be making some family happy in the way the families in the photos were. I knew I could do this just from seeing the results of what this situation would give someone who couldn't have a baby. 

"Mrs Fields!" A tall woman with short jet black hair appeared in the doorway of one of the rooms attached to the waiting area. 

I took Emilia's hand as we followed the woman into the room behind her.

"Hi I'm Elena Williamson." She put her hand out for me to shake and then to Ali.

"I'm Emily and this is my wife Alison and our daughter." 

"Its nice to meet you both." She knelt down in front of Emilia who was hanging off of my leg. "And what is your name?" She pulled a lollipop out of her pocket and handed it to Emilia,

Emilia looked up at me for reassurance that it was okay to take the lollipop and I smiled at her. Her little hand took the red lollipop from Elena. 

"Thank you." Emilia whispered quietly.

"This is Emilia." Alison answered Elena's questions to Emilia.

"Come sit and we can get started." Elena walked over to the other side of the brown desk that sat in the middle of the room.

Ali and I sat at the other side of the desk with Emilia sitting on Alison's lap sucking on her lollipop. I took a deep breath trying to relax myself.

"So Mrs Fields your wife has told me that you were looking to give your baby up for adoption." Elena clasped her hands on her desk.

I nodded and Ali took my hand.

"There is some paperwork that needs to be filled in by you both which I will give you to take away with you today and then we can find a match for you." Elena began to look through the drawer on her right. "Are you wanting this to be a closed or open adoption?" 

"Closed." I said immediately. 

"Okay you will need to fill in these and bring them in for our next meeting." She placed a small pile of papers in front of me. "How far along are you?"

"Two months." I took the papers from the desk.

"Would you be open to allowing the couple you choose to coming along to scans and appointments?"

"Eh." I looked at Alison unsure of what the answer was for us. "Yeah, yes, sure."

"Okay well why don't we make our next appointment for one week today, would that be enough time for you to get the paper work done?" 

"Yes that sounds great." I stood up and waited for Alison to do the same. 

Alison looked at me confused for a moment before standing up and placing Emilia down on the ground. Emilia clung on to her lollipop as she stood next to Ali. 

"I will see you in a week then." Elena smiled as we left the room.