Our Secret

Emily pov

Ali came running down stairs with her phone in hand. Her eyes were wide as she handed me her phone. The screen was covered in missed calls and texts. One word stood out to me in all of the texts 'pregnant'. I felt like I couldn't breathe. The girls already knew but if everyone else now knew I had no idea what we were going to do. I thought it would be okay but now that it was out I didn't want to deal with it. I didn't even know what I was going to tell everyone. Ali led me into the living room while Emilia played with her toys on the floor.

"We need to figure out what we are going to tell everyone now!" I could see the worry in Ali's eyes.

"It needs to be something good because my mom isn't going to take this lightly."

We sat in silence for a few minutes thinking of a lie to tell everyone. 

"It's not like we can tell them that I had a one night stand or anything like that." I broke the silence.

"What if we told them that you are a surrogate? It's not like it isn't true because it kind of it." Ali suggested.

"My mom will ask a lot of questions."

"We will just tell her that the couple want to keep it quiet for the time being until we find a couple who want to adopt."

I smiled remembering one of the many reasons why I was so in love with this magnificent woman. 

Ali's pov

Instead of calling Mrs Fields back we decided it would be better to go by the house and explain everything before she came to us. I had sent a text to Spencer and Hanna and told them it was okay and that we were dealing with it. We pulled up outside Mr and Mrs Fields house. As soon as we did I seen Mrs Fields peeking out of the window at us. Just as I was getting Emilia out of the back of the car Mrs Fields appeared at the front door, clearly unable to wait for us to get in.

"Emily!" She shouted over. "What's going on?"

"It's not what you think mom just wait till we get in and we will explain." Emily replied.

I carried Emilia into the house to get us in faster to avoid any more shouting across the garden. When we got inside I placed Emilia down who ran straight into Mr Fields arms who was standing at the entrance of the kitchen.

"Emily why have I received a message saying you are pregnant? I know that it can't be true but who would do something like this? Making up lies about you." Mrs Fields eyes were wide as she paced back and forth.

"Mom...." Emily paused and I seen her begin to panic. 

I grabbed her hand and squeezed it as Mr and Mrs Fields stared straight at Emily.

"It's okay." I whispered to her and she nodded.

"I am pregnant, but I can explain."

Mrs Fields threw her hands into the air not saying a word.

"What is going on?" Mr Fields put Emilia down who looked confused.

"Just let us explain please." I led the way into the den and everyone followed behind me even Emilia who held on to Mr Fields hand the whole way.

We all sat round in silence for a moment.

"Well will someone explain to me why you are pregnant?" Mrs Fields couldn't sit still.

"It's not our baby." I explained. "Emily is a surrogate for a couple that have been told it is pretty much impossible for them to have a baby on their own." I continued.

The look on Mrs Fields face began to soften slightly. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"The couple don't want people to know just yet they don't want everyone knowing their business. We just wanted to give them as much time as they needed to sort everything out." Emily explained.

The room fell silent and I could see that Mrs Fields was not happy in the slightest.

"Emi I think it is a lovely thing you are doing for who ever it is you are doing it for." Mr Fields spoke for the first time while Mrs Fields remained silent. "I wish you had told us but you were trying to do right by the couple whos child it is so WE understand." He continued.

"Thank you dad." Emily smiled.

Mr Fields nudged Mrs Fields.

"Yes Emily you are doing a nice thing for someone who needs help." Mrs Fields said reluctantly.

Mr Fields made us all a snack before we headed home. Emilia didn't leave Mr Fields side the entire time meanwhile Mrs Fields barely spoke a word.