More Pain

Emily pov

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing and Alison nudging me in her sleep. I searched for my phone in the dark. I eventually found it but it had stopped ringing. I could hear Emilia making noises and saying mama over and over. It was 7:39am Emilia was never awake at this time. My phone probably woke her up right enough. I checked my call history. Six missed calls from Toby. 

"Looks like uncle Toby has to speak to me." I picked up Emilia and sat down at the bottom of the bed with her. 

Toby's phone only rang twice before he answered. "Emily?" His voice broke and I knew there was something wrong.

"What's wrong?"

"It's the baby." I could hear him crying. 

"Toby what happened? Is Spencer okay?"

"She... tripped and fell down the stairs." There was a pause as Toby tried to pull himself together. "Em she lost the baby." He began hysterically crying. 

"Em I need to go the doctor is back."

"Okay send Spencer our love and we will come see you both later today."

Emilia started shouting trying get Toby to hear her before I hung up and Alison sat up in bed.

"Whats going on? Why is she awake just now?" 

"Spencer had a fall she lost the baby." I put my phone down on the bed.

Alison pov

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I felt so guilty. I had been so jealous and insecure about Spencer being pregnant and now she had lost the baby. Tears spilled over and ran down my check. Emily placed Emilia down on the bed and wrapped her arms around me.

"Ali what's wrong?"

"I just... I can't believe she lost the baby." I rested my head on Emily's chest.

"I know but we just need to be there for her and Toby."

I looked down at Emilia who had fell asleep in the middle of our bed. I couldn't believe how fast she fell asleep.

I lifted her gently and put her down in her crib. I climbed back into bed beside Emily. I pulled Emily into my arms. It felt good to have my girl in my arms.

"I love you." I whispered to her.

"I love you too." She leant up and kissed me.

There was no way I was going to be able to go back to sleep after hearing what Spencer had been through.

"Em what if we adopted a baby or had a sperm donor? How would you feel about that?"

Emily pulled out of my arms and sat up.

"What you want another baby just now? Ali we aren't even finished with school. I know this is my last year but you have another year to go through."

"No I meant in the future not now." I laughed. "When Emilia is older and us. After college and everything."

"Oh well in that case I like the sound of that." She smiled then kissed me.

Emily fell asleep in a matter of minutes while I lay awake thinking about Spencer and Toby and how horrible this must be for them. I had to see her. I realised how stupid it was of me to feel jealous when I found out she was pregnant. I had to see her. I knew Emily would be angry if I went without her so I decided I would wake her in an hour or so and we could go then.

I watched the clock anxiously as I waited on time to move by but it was like watching paint dry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alison pov

As Emily pulled up to the hospital my stomach was churning. We decided to take turns going in since we had no one to watch Emilia for today and had to bring her with us. We had agreed it would be a bad idea to take her in to see Spencer just now.

We walked along to the waiting room.

"You go first and I'll wait out here with Emilia."

I looked at Emilia who was talking away to herself.

"Okay." I gave Emily a quick kiss and headed into the room Spencer was in.

When I walked into the room Spencer was sitting up in the bed and Toby was sitting in the seat beside. It reminded me of the time I spent beside  Emily when she was in hospital after the car accident. I could feel myself getting upset but I held it in. If I was going to get upset I would wait until after.

"Hey how are you doing?" I asked as I stood at the foot of Spencer's bed.

"We are getting there." Toby answered. "Where is Emily?"

"She's in the waiting room we are taking turns to come in because we didn't have anyone to have Emilia."

"Do you not want to bring her in?" Toby asked.

"We just didn't think it was a good time to bring her in with what happened."

"Bring her in its okay." Toby looked so sad when he said.

"I don't have to its fine I'll take her in five minutes and Emily can come see you both."

"I want to see her." This was the first time Spencer had spoken.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

She nodded and Toby took her hand. I could feel the guilt wash over me as I remembered that I was jealous of Spencer being pregnant and getting all of the attention.

Emily looked up at me worried when I opened the door. Emilia was sitting in her lap clapping her hands and giggling.

"She wants you to bring Emilia in."

Emily looked at me confused but came into the room.

Spencer smiled weakly when I entered the room with Emily and Emilia. We stood at the bottom of the bed and Emilia struggled in Emily's arms.

"Can I hold her for a minute?" Spencer asked.

Emily looked at me but I nodded. Emily put Emilia down in Spencer's arms. Tears ran down Spencer's face. I wasn't sure if I should take Emilia back or if she was okay. Emilia stood up and Spencer held her steady by her underarms. Emilia rubbed her tiny hands on Spencer's cheeks and Spencer laughed through the tears. 

"You are such a special little girl." She smiled at Emilia.

I guess Emilia was helping Spencer at least a little with what she was going through. As I watched Spencer with Emilia I could see how much of an amazing mom she would have been and will be one day.