Chapter 59

Zach's POV:

Today is Oakley's funeral. It is one of the worst days of my life.

I got up, brushed my teeth, and did my hair. I miss it when Oakley would do my hair. She loved to do it just so she could play with my hair.

I got dressed into a tux. All of us matched today.

"You ready?" Corbyn asked walking out of the bathroom.

"Yeah, I guess." I said slipping my phone into my pocket.

"Well, lets go. They are waiting on us." He opened the door.

We left the hotel and headed to her funeral. It was outside in a graveyard because her mom set it up and Oakley told her that she wanted to be buried in Pennsylvania.

We flew out last night and arrived really late last night. So, we were all tired but, we got enough sleep for now.

**

We arrived at the ceremony (P.s. I don't know what it's called). Jack said that her mom was there. I haven't met her yet, and I never imagined that my first time meeting her would be at her daughters' funeral.

Jack's whole family was there. There were some other people there.

I was standing talking to Jack's mom when I felt a tug on my tux. I looked down to see Clara.

"Clara!" I picked her up. "What are you doing here?"

"Sissy." She pointed at the casket. "She's gone."

"Yeah. Yeah she is. But you know, she's still right here." I pointed at her heart. She giggled. "You know, I have something for you."

I pulled out the letter Oakley wrote for her out of my pocket and I handed it to her. She slowly grabbed it put of my hand and looked at it.

"Can you read it for me?" She tried handing it back to me. I held onto it as I walked away from the crowd, with her in my arms.

We sat on a bench away from the crowd. I looked up and saw Corbyn looking at us. He knew what I was doing.

"Okay, you ready?" I asked looking down at her.

"Yeah." She wrapped her arms around my arm and stared at the letter.

I opened the letter.

" Clara, " I began.

Hey Babygirl,  I'm sorry that we weren't together a lot when I was younger. I'm sorry that I didn't stand up to mom and your dad so I could see you. You are the best littlest sister anyone could ever ask for. I had fun seeing you in Texas with Zach and his family.

I paused remembering the fun times we had.
"I had fun too." Clara said cause me to laugh. She looked up at me and smiled. She had the same smile as Oakley. She looked back down at the letter, wanting me to read more.

Can you please do one favor for me? When you become old enough, don't allow your dad to keep you away from mom. Don't  let him push you away . Be yourself and follow your dreams. I love you, Oakley Mae <3

Clara was really brave. She didn't cry at all.

"Zach?" Her arms weren't wrapped around mine anymore.

"Yeah?" I questioned. She had puppy eyes.

"Can I live with you? I don't want to live with my dad or mom anymore."

"Sweety. Oh how I wish you could. But, I'm sorry, you can't."

"Why not?"

"Your mommy and daddy take care of you."

"You couldn't do that for me?"

"I could. but, your parents wouldn't allow me too. That's their job."

She started crying and grabbed the note from me. Then, she ran off back to the crowd of people.

"Clara! I'm sorry!" I shouted.

I got up and started walking to the funeral. All of a sudden, someone called my name. I turned around to see who it was and I could sense that it was Clara's father.

"Zach?" He questioned me. He stunk of cigarettes.

"Yes?" I backed up a few feet because he was making my stomach turn.

"You want Clara?"

"Excuse me?"

"Do you want Clara? I don't want her and obviously her mother doesn't want her. She didn't even try to fight for Clara when I took her away. I heard your guys' conversation. And she clearly wanted you to take care of her."

"I can't just take Clara from you."

"It's not taking if I give her to you."

"Sir, you must be out of your mind."

"No, I don't want her. She's turning out too much like Oakley." He looked at Oakley's casket in disgust.

"What? She turning out too much like Oakley? You think that?"

"Yeah."

"Well, that must be a good thing then because Oakley was the most wonderful girl in the world. She was so beautiful. She cared for everyone and everything. She put everyone before herself and that's why she's where she's at today. Because she cared about everyone before herself. She wasn't afraid if she died. As long as everyone around her was happy. So maybe, just maybe, Clara turning out like Oakley is a good thing. Clara will go places in the world. And if you don't want to be apart of that and watch her grow up, then yes, I'll be happy to be apart of that. So, you still want to give me your daughter?"

"Yes. I told you, I don't want her."

"Okay, but let me be the one to tell you, you ware making the worst decision of your life."

"Thank you."

I turned around and walked into the crowd trying to find Clara. I couldn't find her in time before a man started speaking.

"We are brought here today to join as one big family to thank Oakley Mae Nickole Reyes. Thank her for everything she has done in her life span. God had a plan for her, accepting her early was his plan. He couldn't wait any longer to see her beautiful face. Now, she didn't really have any directions or how she wanted this to go. Usually, some family members or friends come up here and give speeches. Would anyone like to give a speech?" He said.

Her mom raised her hand and walked to the podium.

"My dearest Oakley. My baby. Um. I don't know what to say anymore. But, I received this letter from the boys who took care of you for the last year. I'm gonna read it when I get home. I miss you, I really do."

**

We were back at the hotel and we were all in bed. I was able to find Clara and tell her she could live with my parents back in Texas. They agreed because they didn't want her to become a foster kid. They liked Clara and they were glad that she would be living with them.

Clara is now my little sister. I love that.