Old Friends.

Zelda finally felt like her and Link had gotten somewhere... Link had agreed to call her Zelda from now on... Maybe she actually had a shot at a normal life...

Link had been dismissed when Zelda had entered her study and had told her he would go to the courtyard. Zelda made her way there, wanting to find her silent protector.

"Zelda!" Link waved as she approached.

Zelda found him by the fountain, sitting on the edge, looking into the clear water.

"Can I ask you something?" Zelda blurted out before she could stop herself. Her hand went story to her mouth when she asked the question.

Link raised an eye before answering, "Sure..."

Zelda sat down nervously and asked, "What happens when you fight? I mean, before, in the woods, you looked as though you had fought a thousand years worth of battles"

Link sighed heavily...

"So you noticed that huh?" Link chuckled "It's silly... But it's exactly like my nightmares"

Zelda gasped.

"When I'm in battle, I re-live my past lives... Every fight, every scrape, every loss..."

So that was why Link had suddenly changed during the ambush... He could remember thousands upon thousands lives that he couldn't save and all the pain that came after their loss. It must be terrible, Zelda thought...

Link looked down in shame at his confession...

Zelda put her hand to Link's chin and lifted it up so they were staring into each other's eyes.

"Link, it's ok... I have the same nightmares, I sometimes remember people from my past lives who died because of me... I don't even know their names..."

The two of them sat in silence, watching the sun float down the horizon. The courtyard rapidly got darker.

The cold wind of the night started to creep in around them. Zelda gave a little shiver before shuffling closer to Link.

Link's heart started to race as he felt the heat radiate from Zelda's body.

Link slowly put his arm on Zelda's shoulder to warm her up. He hoped to all three Goddesses that he didn't get slung into the dungeon for this.

***

Link and Zelda walked in comfortable silence for the first time ever as they made their way to their rooms. Link saw Zelda to her door before heading to the next door along. He started twisting the door nob before he was interrupted by Zelda.

"Link..." She said sheepishly, "Can you stay with me?"

Link's jaw dropped.

"Sure, I'll stay" he managed to say before he let go of his door and shuffled towards the sleepy Princess.

Zelda led Link into her room and closed the door. Zelda went into her bathroom to change into her nightdress while Link made himself comfortable in a chair near the exit.

It was strategically the best place to stay. He was within meters of the Princess should she need help but also close enough to the door to escape. Perfect.

Zelda came out a while later, in her usual white nightdress. It reached her ankles and was low cut from the chest.

Zelda blushed at her appearance before snuggling into her bed.

Zelda looked at Link in confusion as to why he was by the door.

"Do you intend to spend the whole night in that lumpy chair. I do not wish for you to develop back pain."

A sudden thought but her.

"My bed is more than big enough to house us both. It would bring comfort to know that you are alive and safe with me should I have another nightmare..."

What was I thinking, Zelda screamed inside her head. Did I seriously just ask my knight to climb I to my bed?

In actual fact, both of the two knew they wanted to be closer to one another for some intangible reason, but neither would show it.

Link timidly got up from his seat and walked over to the bed. Both their hearts were racing.

Link sat upright on the bed and pulled the duvet over his legs.

That would have to do... For now, Zelda smiled as she turned on her side and fell asleep.