Nightmares of Lives Lost.

Link woke up sharply, drenched in sweat and shaky. Link's hands flew to his chest and he determined that he was Link and no longer Linkle. That was a relief, but what wasn't, was his nightmare. Before, he had combatted them with Zelda being next to him. But that nightmare was different from his norm... All the memories that had flooded his head when he would see an artifact, his brain just couldn't take it, all the lives. Link now had memories from previous lives and that meant that his visions were no longer hazy, they seemed real, as though he had finally connected the dots. When he finally calmed down, he noticed Zelda stir from her own sleep and look up at him. All of a sudden, she burst out in a fit of laughter, waking the other girls up, who ended up joining her in. What was so funny?

Link then looked down at himself. Oh Goddesses, he thought! He was still wearing Zelda's dress! At first he didn't know wether or not to laugh, cry or sulk. He just ended up laughing.

***

"Ah, I see you're back to your usual self," the King said lightly as he passed Link in the corridor. Link bowed down at the sight of the King in front of him, but was quickly promoted to stay at ease.

"I have noticed that all these artifacts effects you in some way... You've become more silent than usual when you think no one is watching" Link gulped. They were effecting him. He would be minding his own business when another lost memory would intrude his mind. As Link started to think, the King left him in his solitude.

He didn't want to re live his old lives, he wanted to live his life! He didn't want to constantly change into something different and push himself away from Zelda. He did admit though, that changing into something different did give him advantage... As Wolf Link he could run faster, jump higher and could fight with his claws and teeth. As Four Links, he could cover more ground and could battle more enemies. As Linkle, she could kill enemies at a distance with her crossbows, she could dodge more weapon strikes because she was more flexible and she could fit through tight spaces. Link would have just been fine with these abilities, but that with all the memories made it torcher.

***

Zelda and Link were heading to bed that night. Zelda was relieved that Link was back to himself, she didn't know wether or not it was luck that saved her from her nightmares or the fact that Link was at least in the room with her. She wanted Link next to her of course, but his mere presence made her feel safe.

Link was eager to spend some time with Zelda again, hoping that his nightmares would go away. They made themselves comfortable in Zelda's huge bed and slowly they found sleep...

Midna, no! Don't go! He ran towards her as she started to disappear. No! The huge circle disc shattered as Link covered his face with his arms, not wanting to die. When they were brought down, he was in a different place. Next to him was a strange looking sword. I wonder... He used both his hands to free it from the stone. Oh no! He shook violently, blurring his vision. When it returned, she was running through a field. Must save everyone! She came to a fork in the road and on instinct, ran in a random direction. Must save everyone!  Can't disappoint grandmother!

Link screamed and bolted upright, startling Zelda who detached herself from his waist. She looked into him with her beautiful eyes searching for an answer to this. Link just sat their, gasping for breath and trying to hold into his dream, wanting an answer himself. After Link and gained control again, Zelda snaked her arms around his waist again and pulled him onto his back. When he was down, she lifted her head up on her arm so she could see his face. He looked terrified.

"What's wrong?" She pleaded.

"Nothing..." Link shifted on the bed and turned away from Zelda.

"If you insist," she gave up because of her own want of sleep," but you are starting to scare me" and with that, she snuggled under the blankets and drifted of to sleep.

Link, on the other hand, couldn't sleep. He had frightened Zelda? His Zelda? He fell asleep later on, with a nice day planned for Zelda when they woke up. He would take her out of the castle and find a nice spot to have a real picnic.