Real Men have a Fairy.

Link had heard it for months now, the pulsing voice of Fi, the spirit of the Mastersword. Link had pulled the sword that seals the darkness from its perch in the Lost Woods when he was a young boy, no older than twelve. And now, the Mastersword must be put to rest...

Ever since the incident involving Vaati and Cia, Link could feel the pulse of his sword, signalling it's inevitable departure from Link. The Mastersword would be wielded when Hyrule's needs were great but must be put to rest when the ordeal is over.

Link had lived dozens of lives and had wielded the Mastersword on multiple occasions. He had thought that, after the Calamity, he would have to return it to the Lost Woods. But he felt no impending voice that compelled him. Now, months after they infiltrated the Yiga Clan, Zelda and Link were traveling through the foggy landscape that was the Lost Woods.

Zelda stuck close to Link's side, knowing that he had more experience getting through it than she had. Granted, a hundred years ago she had put the Mastersword under the care of the Deku Tree but all the same, the Lost Woods were not to be taken lightly.

As the fog cleared and the trees thinned out, the two came into the clearing. They gazed up at the Deku Tree, bowing their heads respectfully. Silence passed them, no words were needed.

Link's only companion throughout his efforts to save Hyrule from the Calamity had been the Mastersword. He traveled alone, never staying long enough in the same place to make permanent friends. The only sense of companionship came from the soft whispers he would hear radiating from the Mastersword in the night. Sometimes, when he was far away from civilization and stuck in an outrageous thunderstorm, he could hear Fi whispering encouragement into his ear.

Now, he was about to say goodbye to that companion- no, that friend.

"Now then..." The Deku Tree's booming voice interrupted the silence, "As you say goodbye to an old friend, I bid you say hello to another..."

Link placed the Mastersword over the pedistle before plunging it down, sealing it in place untill the next dawn of hero, if there ever need be. Link let a solitary tear roll down his cheek as his connection to Fi was cut off. With that, Link raised his head to look into the wise face of the Deku Tree.

His gaze was snapped back to the Mastersword as two small balls of light danced around the blade.

The balls of light had delicate wings that fluttered as it moved. As they twirled round the Mastersword, they noticed Link and flew straight at him.

"Hey!" The high-pitched voice coming from the fairy squeaked.

Link looked from the fairys to the Deku Tree, lost for words.

"N-Navi? P-Proxi?" He cocked an eyebrow and the fairy bounced up and down in midair.

"Master Link!" They both squeaked back.

Link couldn't find the words. Why was the Deku Tree giving him two fairys? Especially ones so annoying as Navi and Proxi!

"I trust you told Link the message you wanted to tell him?" The Deku Tree changed the subject, speaking directly to Zelda.

Zelda went a deep pink before nodding sheepishly, "Y-yes I did."

"Hey! Listen!" Navi whispered in Link's ear, "Princess Zelda seems to be embarrassed about something."

Link swatted the fairy away and punched the brim of his nose in irrigation. As much as Navi and Proxi had helped him during his adventures, he still found them annoying.

"What message was that then?" Link cocked an eyebrow at Zelda.

She blushed again, "Well... You see... Um, when I put the Mastersword back here ... I kinda um... Asked the Deku Tree to give you a message for when you came back..." She looked into his blue eyes, "I was going to say I love you..."

"Wow..." Link put a hand on her shoulder, "I'm glad you told me yourself.

They came closer together and leant in. They were about to kiss when...

"Hey! Listen!"

"What is it now?!" Link snapped at the two fairys.

"It will be night soon, we should get going." Proxi stated.