Despair.

The two ran on, towards the castle, hoping beyond hope that the citizens of Castle Town were still alive. They came through the trees and saw burning. Every building was burning, the smoke adding to the already, black cloud in the sky. The flames could be seen and felt even from where Link and Zelda were standing, quite some distance away.

The two could hear the screams of the people trapped in Castle Town, the place flooded with Guardians. The Guardians were twisted and evil, now a malice shade of pink. Zelda now knew what that burst of energy was that came from the Calamity, he had turned the Guardians against them.

She looked up as another wave of malice came from the swirling mass above them. This time, there were only four projectiles, all heading in different directions. Oh, no... Oh no no no no no! The Divine Beasts!

Link had obviously figured it out as well as he looked in the direction of Zora's Domain, a frightful gasp escaping his lips. He didn't have time to mourn, as a second later, a Lazer bolt from an approaching Guardian hit the tree besides them.

Link grabbed Zelda's hand and ran back onto the woods. They didn't know where they were going, anything was better than the castle grounds. Link held Zelda's hand in one of his, with his other, he held the Mastersword, no one would harm her as long as he lived!

The forest was draped in shadows now, the only light was that of the lightning and the fire. Even Link, who had grown up among nature, thought the forest seemed treacherous. They ran, Zelda looking back, hoping the Guardians weren't coming after them.

Suddenly, she tripped, and her hand slid out of Link's. She crashed into the mud as Link stumbled forward, before turning to Zelda, her dress covered in dirt,her head bowed low and her fists balled up Infront of her on the ground.

"How..." She whispered, her voice barely audible over the rain.

Link slowly walked towards her.

"How did it come to this?" Link put the Mastersword back in it's scabbard and knelt down in front of Zelda, her voice hoarse.

"The Divine Beasts... The Guardians... They've all turned against us... It was..." She clenched her fists tighter, her knuckles turning white, " Calamity Ganon. It turned them all against us!"

"And everyone- Mipha, Urbosa, Revali and Daruk..." She lifted her head up and stared into Link's eyes, her own filling with tears, "They're all trapped inside those things..."

"It's all my fault!" She hide her face in her hands, tears streaming down her face.

"Our only hope for defeating Ganon is lost all because I couldn't harness this cursed power! Everything- everything I've done up until now..." She sobbed, "It was all for nothing..."

She threw her hands down and looked up to Link, "So I really am just a failure!"

"All my friends... the entire kingdom...my father most of all...  I tried, and I failed them all..." the tears started up again as she looked up.

"I've left them... all to die." she started to cry again, she moved forward and crashed her head into Link's chest, sobbing as he held her close.

He knew that they should be moving, they should be coming up with a plan. But Link knew that she needed her time to cry. Wouldn't you cry if you realised you were the cause of the deaths for everyone in your kingdom?