lovely surprises - shunsui x oc

A/N: Shuriken Natazaki is my own character.

A pained sigh came from Shunsui's frowning lips as he stared up at his ceiling, brunette eyebrows furrowed. For it to be his birthday, the man wasn't all that happy.

Sure, he had gotten countless birthday wishes and gifts from his subordinates and friends; hell, even Nanao had been nicer to him than usual today. He had gone out after work with Jūshirō to have a good time, so he should be happy; of course, that could have gone better, too.

Shuriken should have been there with them.

Now, no one was quite sure where the navy haired woman had gone. She had apparently been in her division early in the day, but where was she now? It pained Shunsui to know that Shuriken hadn't so much as dropped by his office today to see him; he knew that she was probably busy, but it hurt him, nonetheless. Shuriken meant a lot to Shunsui, and celebrating his birthday without her just felt wrong.

His lack of Shuriken was the sole cause for his current 'depression.'

Shunsui flinched when he heard a knocking noise from downstairs; what was someone doing at his house at this time of night? The Eighth captain remained in bed, allowing his maids to tend to whoever had come by to see him so late. Surely, it wasn't anyone or anything important.

Moments like this were when Shunsui truly appreciated the help that his status had given him. He didn't have his entire home full of workers, but he did have enough of them around him to help keep things running smoothly.

A few moments later, things had seemed to grow quiet. Shunsui silently thanked his maids and rolled over on his side, closing his eyes; it would be better to go to sleep now, wouldn't it? To put an end to this depressing birthday?

Right as Shunsui had been about to drift off into sleep, another knock -now on his bedroom door- jolted him awake. Groggily, the man said, "Come on in."

As Shunsui sat up in his bed, tiredly rubbing his stubbled cheek, his door opened. Gray orbs widened in surprise at the sight he saw from the dim hallway light; was he hallucinating, or...?

When the figure flipped on his bedroom light, Shunsui instantly perked up at the sight he saw; yes, his beloved Shuriken had managed to come by and see him after all!

"I apologize about dropping by to see you so late, Shunsui. I didn't wake your ass up, did I?"

Shunsui chuckled and shook his head, grinning at his friend. He waved Shuriken over and patted his bed, signaling for her to sit down. "Of course not, Ri! Besides, you know I'm always happy to see you."

Shuriken gave a slight smile of her own as she walked over to Shunsui's bed, sitting on top of it and folding her legs. Shunsui moved a bit so that the two of them were facing each other directly.

"I would have been by earlier, but the old man sent me out on a mission right around noon; it was a pretty shitty thing for him to do, considering I'm certain he knows very well what today is." Shuriken commented with a slight eye roll, making Shunsui laugh. The navy haired woman respected and admired Yamamoto about as much as he himself did, but that didn't mean that she approved of everything he did.

"I'm sure Yama had his reasons for sending you out when he did." Shunsui patted Shuriken's head, keeping his trademark grin that she secretly loved so much.

"Yeah, but couldn't he have sent Chōjirō or someone else out on the mission? I realize that there were a lot of strong hollows out there to deal with, but hell, he could have even passed the mission on to another division." Shuriken sighed, crossing her arms over her chest. Shunsui just laughed even more.