Some things never change...

Some things never change. Can thought so while pondering about his mother. Hüma's heart might have melted, but a rotten apple will always remain a rotten one. Can knew his mother, but viewed her as an opponent and not as a child would seek to view its mother. And the pain of this never left his heart.

Can always made it a goal in his life to always anticipate Hüma's conniving intentions. He never permitted himself to underestimate her. He knew she never did anything selflesly, never without an underlying motive. He simply knew how she worked.  Before his accident, before he made the most painful decision of his life to walk away from Sanem, he knew something wasn't right when Hüma showed back up in their lives. His gut feeling only reassured him in what his heart of a child yearning for a mother's love felt - that Hüma was up to no good. He tried his best to keep an open mind about Hüma because Sanem begged him for it. Little did they know that it would be Hüma who made most damage to their love by calling for Polen to return to Can's life and for Yigit to cling to Sanem.

But life has an uncanny way of repaying its depts. The heart of Can she was trying so hard to keep Sanem away from was never hers to guard. It was Can's and Can's only, and it would only seek Sanem's heart to find refuge in it. The man that Can turned out to be was a man who finally understood what love meant all thanks to Sanem. And her love was more of a treasure to him than Hüma would ever understand. For a man who never understood what true love was before he met Sanem, the love Sanem offered to him freely and unconditionally filled all the hidden and broken pieces of his heart. And Hüma finally realized how wrong her ways were when she was faced with the fact of just how sick of a man Yigit really was. She understood it was her mistake. But it was too late...

Hüma tried to mend ways with Can but that attempt was cut so painfully short when Can and Sanem suffered in the accident. Her heart finally felt the motherly love toward Can he so desperately yearned for. But now Can was numb against her good intentions. Opening his eyes at the hospital and seeing her close to his bed left him baffled. It left him wondering why she of all persons was by his side. Can's amnesia took away not only any memory of Sanem and her love, it also took away any memory of Hüma's changing for the better. And that was a blow to her heart she had not expected. Life delt her a painful lesson, one she was not ready for. So she tried to mend ways with him each chance she got. She brought him photographs from Emre and Leyla's wedding, which he refused to look at and left his home the minute Hüma showed up. Each time Hüma came by the agency, Can found ways of evading dealing with her directly.

So when Can called his mother to come to his aid when Mevkibe needed to be convinced to perform in a commercial, Hüma spared no time and came to the Aydin household. Though Hüma was set on advising Mevkibe not to play in the commercial at all cost, Can knew exactly why he called his mother. She was exactly who he needed to persuade Mevkibe. Some things never change. And Can counted on it. And as in the past, his gut feeling did not fail him. It took Mevkibe no time to agree to perform in the commercial, since Hüma blind in her selfish ways kept telling Mevkibe she should not perform. Reverse psychology at its best, Can thought. And he could not feel more pleased, for his mother did what she did best. She made it clear to Mevkibe she was not capable of any performance beyond her place or status. As much as it pained Can to hear those words Hüma addressed to Mevkibe, he knew it was exactly what Mevkibe needed to hear.

Just as life taught Hüma a painful lesson with regards to Can and their relationship, life also taught Hüma another lesson when it came to a relationship of the heart. She pursued Selim due to his status, or so she thought. She only saw the aura of his wealth and failed to see that he was using her for his own personal gains. Realizing the game that he played filled her with embarrasment and discomfort only a self-absorbed heart could feel.

So she made the only choice visible to her heart and left her sons. She failed to see they needed her more than she needed to escape. And that, to Can, was a sign that his mother's heart may have melted, but it never truly changed...