Melihat the guardian...

As the day came to an end, Can drove Sanem back to her home. They dredged parting, for neither wanted that most wonderful of days to come to an end. They had come back to each other, and they professed that their love was as strong now as it had ever been...

Can stopped the car by Sanem's house, and she did not want to leave. The fact that he knew her neighborhood like the back of his own hand still made her feel amazed. She remembered the first time he brought her home. She had fallen asleep in their way from Agua. He spoke with her mother and found out where they lived. She awoke to the sight of familiar streets and faces of her neighbors. He really did not know what he was getting himself into. It was not an everyday sight in her neighborhood that a wealthy man drove the daughter of a grocer back to her home. It was simply never done. Can had not paid any attention to her neighbors's stares, he only paid attention to Sanem. And her mother, for Mevkibe seemed to liked him from the very moment they met. But there was another person who he met that day. None other than Melihat. She was known to all and she made it her business to know everyone and everything...

All throughout Sanem and Can's relationship Melihat paid greatest of attention to the smallest of details. As a hair and beauty salon owner she had access to all the news in the neighborhood. She also spread the news like no one else. She spread the news of Sanem's engagement to Osman. Likewise, the news that the engagement was not real. She was the one who enlightened Mevkibe that both of her daughters fell for the charms of both Divit brothers. She was there by Mevkibe's side when she needed it most when Nihat's heart got hurt because Mevkibe stood by her daughter's side. She was also there by Mevkibe's side when they conspired to make the strongest of potions to bring Can's memory back...

So when Can's car pulled up by her home, Sanem knew to be careful. She remembered all the times he drove her home. She remembered how proud she felt when Can drove hwr home and made it clear to Polen he knew by heart where she lived. She remembered when he dropped her near her neighborhood, far from her house, the evening when she told him she loved him. She reminded him of their customs, and that it simply was not done or permitted to have a relationship not established as courtship. He asked for a kiss and she told him he could not because they would have been seen, only to kiss his cheek in the most endearing way before she left his car. She remebered the time when he drove her home and the neighbors saw them, and their guarded world of love was forced to come out of the shaddows. She remembered the night he dropped her home after the Compass gala party. He was the sweetest he had ever been then. He called her his beloved that night, and she felt that way ever since...

As the time had come for her to bid goodnight to Can, who else but Melihat came out of nowhere. Sanem was surprised that she did not see her coming. The smile on Melihat's face could not be denied. She demanded a kiss from them both. She made it clear that all knew the news of their reconciliation. She also made it clear that what awaited next was their wedding. Sanem was shocked, and did not see Can's calm reaction. Sanem did the only thing she could think of to save Can from any more of Melihat's questions. She said their goodbyes and impatiently awaited the moment he left.

When he did, Sanem could not help to comment on Melihat and her guardian skills. For she really was a guardian. And she felt proud of it too. Melihat told Sanem that was her duty as a kind soul and as her sister at heart. When she told Sanem she would keep that keen eye on Sanem, they both knew she meant it. And that was just how she chose to let Sanem know how much her life and her love meant to her...