the wake

toni's pov

we are at josie's wake today and my main goal is to comfort cheryl and my friends, but mainly cheryl. i was never really close with josie but i know cher really loved her.

all the younger kids are in the basement playing with toys and there's a tv as well. we didn't want them to watch us all cry and in my opinion they definitely wouldn't do the best job in comforting us adults.

brandon and liam are upstairs sitting next to cheryl because they wanted to do there best to help her as much as they could.

fred and gianna are upstairs too and trying to comfort there own parents.

poor layla is sobbing her little heart out and emily is trying her best to calm her down. we decided the oldest kids are definitely mature enough to stay and watch the wake even though they didn't know josie.

"you ok babe?" i asked while looking at cheryl wiping some tears. "yea i think so. i just wish she knew that she could've come to me. she could've talked to me. i wish we didn't lose touch." she said but it was hard to understand through her crying. "i know. i know." i say and hold her hands.

"mom how did josie die again? sorry i don't remember." liam asked me. "i don't know the full story but she got into a car accident." i say and sigh. he simply nods and looks away.

watching everyone crying was really hard. it was especially hard to watch cheryl cry. i kept rubbing her back and kissing her cheek. "i'm sorry for crying tt. you shouldn't have to coddle me." shes says sounding disappointed.

"baby you don't ever need to be sorry for crying. it's normal and it's ok to cry. especially when it's about someone you loved passing away. and cher it's my job to make sure your ok. your my wife. i love you more than anything in the world." i said and pulled her into my embrace.

she cried into my shoulder and my dress was probably going to be tear stained but i really didn't mind at all, anything to make my girl feel better. the wake was going by fast and everyone had calmed down a little towards the end except for layla.

i felt so bad and it broke my heart to see her cry even though i've only met her once. her and emily were sitting in the back and i could tell emily was struggling to keep her happy.

"hey em you ok?" i asked after walking to the back and sitting next to them. "i'm managing. i think." she says and sighs. "layla are you ok?" i ask but obviously already knowing the answer. she shakes her head vigorously and keeps sobbing. "well i bought something special for you. do you want to see it?" i ask her.

she nods and i pull a doll out of my purse. it's an american girl doll that looks like josie and has cat ears along with the pussycat outfit. layla's face lights up and she's speechless. i turn to emily and see she's crying.

"you good?" i ask trying to keep from laughing. "yea it's just wow. that's so thoughtful. happy tears for lay i guess." shes says in shock.

"i- i love it. thank -you so m-much." layla said which made me smile. "i'm glad you like it. you can play with it and do its hair and it would be like your mom is always with you. because even though she's not here anymore she's still in your heart." i say and hand her the doll. she takes it and immediately hugs it so tight.

recently i went to the american girl doll store with ev, grace, and tayleigh but decided to get one for layla assuming she would take josie's death really hard. just a little something to make her feel better.

"your my new favorite aunt." she said and now i wanted to cry. "thank you cutie." i said and hugged her.

after the wake ended we decided not to go to the burial because we didn't want to expose our kids to death so young. of course they knew what it was but actually seeing the burial might freak them out. saturdays were usually the days when we went to someone's house to do something fun but today was somber so we just watched a movie at archie and ronnie's house.

on the big couch cheryl was cuddled up on my lap and aiden was leaning on us, napping.

betty and jug were also on the big couch in the same position as me and cher but lizzie was also cuddling with them.

ronnie and arch were on the small couch with vivi in there lap.

kevin and fangs sat on the other small couch opposite the one varchie was laying on. layla was cuddled up in their lap still holding the doll i got her.

the rest of the kids sat on the floor with the younger ones on the older ones laps. brandon with sebi, liam with juliet, gianna with tayleigh, emily with lea, angelica with evi, ella with grace, and fred with kayla.

angelica and ella both could've qualified as a younger kid but decided to sit with there 'baby sisters'. sweet pea also sat on the floor with luke in his lap since there was an uneven number.

it was a day of crying for all of us but ended in a sweet kind of way.

A/n: not going to lie i didn't really know what to write like at all for this chapter but i knew it had to be written for plot purposes. i really need you guys to comment ideas. also which character/s would you like to see more of? please don't be shy!

Instas:

@FangsFogarty

she's only known her a week and gianna already straightened lays hair 🤷🏻‍♂️comments: @cherylbombshell- she's a cutie @archie

comments:
@cherylbombshell- she's a cutie
@archie.andrews- you and kev are the greatest "almost dads" to layla
@tiny.topaz- love it
@ronnie.lodge- i swear everyone needs to stop adopting kids because it's making me want to
@betty1cooper- @ronnie.lodge i agree
@kevin.the.gay- exhibit A of gia being the greatest "big sister"

@Betty1Cooper

my free spirited lizzie 🌼comments: @jugheadjones- jules is mad you didn't post about her @ronnie

comments:
@jugheadjones- jules is mad you didn't post about her
@ronnie.lodge- happy to be her auntie
@tiny.topaz- awwww
@cherylbombshell- pretty safe to say you and hobo made cute kids cousin
@sweet_pea- she would look so good in a serpent jacket it's not even funny
@fangfogarty- @sweet_pea ikr!!!!
@kevin.the.gay- yellow is so her color