*36*

It was a strange morning.

Jisu woke up on her own. Her mother didn't wake her even though she always does that when she has school.

The little girl rubbed her eyes and looked at the clock.

She overslept.

She quickly threw the blanket off her and waddled to the kitchen, assuming her mom is preparing breakfast or having phone calls.

"Mommy?" She called out but no one responded.

The dirty plates were still in the sink. That's not normal.

She walked around the apartment and knocked on Jennie's bedroom door.

"Mommy?" She went on the tip of her toes to reach the doorhandle and pulled it down.

Pieces of paper were scattered on her desk and the window was open.

Jisu eyed her mother who was still lying in bed.

"Mommy!" She called her once again and gripped her shoulders. "You have to go to work." She reminded.

Jennie's nose was red, her skin was pale and her arms hung down like dead weight. It scared Jisu how easily she could make them move by tender shakes.

"Mhm.." Jennie hummed quietly.

"Are you okay?" Jisu crawled on top of her and felt her forehead.

It was burning.

A fever?

Jisu circled her small arms around her neck before she puckered up her lips and pecked her left cheek.

She then jumped down and went to the kitchen.

What medicine do people who have fever take?

When she was sick her mom made her drink a lot water and prepared her porridge.

So she pulled a chair to the cupboard, climbed on it and retrieved a glass that she filled with water. Carefully she strolled back to the bedroom.

"Here. Water." She held it out but Jennie still wasn't opening her eyes.

Jisu had no other choice. She had to do something she rarely does.

"MOOOOM!!!"

Yelling her lungs out.

It did the trick.

Jennie's eyes shot open.

"W-What!?" She blinked rapidly.

She was clearly drowsy, yet alarmed. Her maternal instincts were kicking in left and right.

"Drink! You are sick." Jisu handed her the glass but Jennie's hands were so shaky it spilled.

She rashly climbed on the bed and helped her drink.

It didn't seem to make a difference.

Jennie looked just as exhausted and barely managed to speak distinctly.

Jisu rushed to her own room. She pulled the walkie talkie out from below her pillow and pressed a button before she spoke.

"Anyone listening?"

She waited a few seconds until she received a response.

"Chaeryeong here! Good morning!"

Jisu smiled. "Hi there."

"Is something up? Aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"Aren't you supposed to be in kindergarten?" Jisu rebutted.