Jaytim《13》Flowers

It was a bright and early morning, which was quite unusual for Gotham Cirty, which usually had dark skys and foggy (and suspicious) mist.

Tim Drake was alone this valentine's day, just like every year of his life.

He was walking home from school, earbuds playing "Till the Light Goes Out" by Lindsey Stirling.

Since there wasn't any homework he needed to do that day, he decided to have a nice refreshing walk around.

Focusing on putting one foot in front of the other, Tim walked down many streets of Gotham City, passing by many shops.

Shops such as coffee shops (which he stopped at a few) that had very pleasant aromas of smell, toy shops, general stores.

But as he got closer back to his apartment, a new smell wafted in the air, that Tim had never smelled before.

It was the smell of flowers.

Tim looked up from the pavement to see just across the street was a flower shop that looked very vibrant and lively.

Tim became intrigued by the very eccentric blue the store was painted, and the man inside the store behind the cash register, reading a book.

The man looked content on reading the pages of the very thick book, that looked to be at the least 1000 pages long.

Tim decided, since it was valentine's day after all, he might as well get himself something to buy.

Tim walked across the street, as seeing it was very unbusy, and made it across the road without a scratch.

The store was called "Todd les Fleurs", and the flowers out on the front looked very beautiful indeed.

From roses, to poppys, to sunflowers, and just regular plants like small trees, or cactuses, it had it all.

The man inside clearly didn't notice Tim, and, since Tim was closer, now was a little relieved, as seeing than man could most likely squeeze him to death.

Tim looked at the prices, and smiled at how accurate they seemed. He despised people who sold a single rose for $12 or more.

Tim could feel his messenger bag start to slip off his shoulder, so he quickly went to replace it. His blue notebook in the other hand.

Tim heard a bell ring, and saw the man that was at the counter, had finally noticed him.

"Umm... hi! I was wondering if I could purchase something today." Tim fumbled, the man not looking amused.

"What were you thinking of getting?" The man asked Tim, arms crossed against his chest.

"Well, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for me?" Tim asked, now a little intimidated.

"Is this for a lover?" The man asked, a completely blank face staring into Tim's soul, that made Tim cower in fear.

"No. Goodness no! Just for my apartment." Tim stuttered out.

The man hummed, and turned around and picked up a pot filled with blue roses.

The man held it out, then looked at Tim, then set it back down, and did the same thing to some sunflowers, and then again to a pot of lilys.

"What are y-"

"Trying to see what flower suits you best." The man explained before Tim could even finish asking his question.

"How do you know? What flowers are good for me, I mean."

"Most people don't know this, but most people can take care of flowers that look and act a lot more like them. So keep talking kid."

"Well, I'm going to college for computer sciences, I like the color red, a lot, and I like to code and program for fun."

The man just hummed, now picking up a cactus, and then placing it back down again.

"I really like doughnuts and hawiian pizza, I work a part time job at Walmart, and I was adopted by Bruce Wayne."

After Tim finished his sentence, the man dropped a pot of tiger lilys he just picked off the shelf.

Tim flinched at the noise of the pot shattering, watching the dirt and flowers spread across the ground.

Tim heard the man curse under his breath, and turned to Tim.

"I'll be right back."

Tim just nodded, and watched as the man left, noticing the tensions in the mans muscles and how stiffly he moved.

Did something Tim say upset him?

As quick as the man disappeared, he reappeared with a broom and a dust pan in hand, and walked over the the mess.

"Would you like me to help you?" Tim asked the man politely, watching as he carefully picket up the flowers and placed them in an empty pot.

"No. It's fine. I'm sorry, I'm not usually this clumsy. I guess you just caught me off guard."

The mans attempt at hiding the waver in his voice was pretty obvious, and Tim mentally added the shaking hands of his.

"Just grab the yellow tulips and leave. This is going to take a little bit to clean this up, and I don't want to waste any more of your time."

The shake of the mans body was more noticable now, and Tim feared for the mans health.

"A-are you sure?" Tim asked.

The man wanted to shout at him, but couldn't bring himself to. He would probably get kicked out of the city if he did, and he was having enough issues as is at the moment.

"Yes. Don't bother to pay."

Tim carefully and hesitantly grabbed the pot of yellow tulips from a cart, keeping his eyes on the man the entire time.

"Can I at least ask you your name?" Tim asked the man, noticing the shaking has gotten worse, and the very impressive attempt to not cry.

The man sighed, knowing it was no use to lie to the guy, as he could probably figure it out anyways, with the technology he had.

"Jason Todd. Now please, never return."

Tim looked at the man in shock. He's heard stories about this man from Bruce himself.

Jason lived on the streets, had family issues, and even managed to steal the wheels off the Batmobile. He was the second Robin.

Until Joker kidnapped him, and wiped his memories away from him. Bruce couldn't find him anywhere, and eventually gave up after searching for years.

There, kneeling before him, was Jason Todd, the man Bruce mourned for. The man that was presumed dead.

Tim stood his ground. "No."

Please comment if you want a part 2.

Next chapter is part 2 of survival, as requested and dedicated to Nightwing-Robin4ever