Jaydick《77》Nighthood pt. 4

PJ should have known better than to think that his parents would stay here for the night, instead of going out to patrol the city.

If he were to ask they would probably cover it up with something stupid, like going to a bar and forgetting the time.

But that wasn't the point. The point was PJ was scared for his parents lives now. He knew they did this every night, that this was normal for him, but he'd never been put in this position before.

Sure, his parents might have gone out a few times when he was 3 or 4, but he couldn't remember anything of those times well enough. Nor could he understand the extreme situation.

Ever since Roy had taken him in, he had chosen to give up the life until PJ was able to manage on his own during the night. He worried about Roy too, as seeing he's already lost his parents to the fate that Roy put himself in constantly, but now this was a situation where his actual parents were in possible danger.

He didn't know how to handle it.

PJ raced out the door, not stopping to put on a jacket or his shoes, and hoped that he could catch a glimpse of his parents. He just wanted to make sure they were okay.

Then he scolded himself. 'Of course they're alright, they're not going to die now, especially since they die AFTER they adopt you, and that hasn't happened yet!'

But the reasonable side of his mind what a little faint, the irrational side taking the wheel, screaming at him, telling him they could still be in grave danger at this very moment.

PJ raced down the sidewalk that passed by a few buildings, one including Wayne Enterprises. He almost rolled his eyes at that building.

The sound of his bare feet slapping on concrete was nothing compared to his labored breathing. Running while in panic is sometimes not the best on anyone's lungs, especially a person with asthma.

A pain in his stomach started to form quickly, but PJ couldn't bring himself to care about it, couldn't bring himself to stop running. His dad's could be in trouble, big time trouble.

Scenarios ran through his head, kidnapping, at point blank of a gun, being shot at, all too much stress on him.

When PJ crossed down into Crime Alley, he ran into a solid form, forcing him back and onto the ground, all his momentum gone from the amount of running he had put himself through.

"Woah, are you okay there?" A voice asked. But it was strange, it sounded a little distant, or even muffled.

PJ closed his eyes, trying to slow down his heavy breathing before even thinking of responding to the man in the shadows. He held up his pointer finger in the sky, as to tell the man that he needed a minute before he could respond.

The sound of PJ's heavy breathing filled the silence between them, bouncing off the brick walls and echoing in the narrow alleyway.

"Are you okay, short stack?" The man in the shadows asked again, reaching out a hand to help PJ up and off the grimy floor.

PJ winced as he pulled himself up with the mans help, the pain coursing through his body now coming to him.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just a little winded."

"Why are you running?" The man in the shadows asked.

"I freaked. I can't find my par-"

PJ paused. The gloved hand felt familiar. And the muffled voice, that was familiar to him too. When PJ stopped to think about it, realization came flooding to him.

'Holy shite this is my father. He's okay.'

"I mean, there are these two guys who took me into their house, and when I found their room empty, I was scared they got kidnapped or something. So I tried to look for them."

The man, his father, hummed in thought for a second. "I'm sure they're both okay. Maybe they just went to a bar for a night out."

PJ wanted to slap his face. Or maybe slap his father. Of course he was going to use the bar excuse. He's heard Roy use that excuse on other people all the time. One of the most common excuses for a superhero, he's learned.

"I'm sure you're right. I just got scared, is all." PJ said, wanting to hit something all of a sudden.

"That's normal. Do you need help getting back? Or at least need protecting?" Red Hood asked.

PJ thought for a moment, debating whether he should or shouldn't ask for something like that.

"No, I'm good. Thanks for the offer anyways."

"Anytime."

PJ watched in silence as Red Hood ran away, into the heart of Crime Alley.

{Back in the future}

"Bruce, I didn't do anything! I mean it, he's gone! I don't know where he went!" Roy complained, pacing the floor in his pajama pants as he held the conversation through the phone, trying to hold back the urge of punching Batman for not listening to him.

"He couldn't have just gone missing, there has to be an explanation to it." Bruce pointed out, refusing to admit his grandson had mysteriously disappeared without a warning.

"I'm telling you, it happened. I leave him alone for one hour and then there's talk in Star Labs that their time device had been used. It can't be a coincidence."

"Until Star Labs comes back with actual data and statistics that the machine had been, without a doubt, used, I am not going on a hunch like that."

Roy tried his best not to yell at the old man, but he was getting on his nerves. "And until we come up with another explanation, I'm not coming off this so called hunch. I'm sure he used that device, positive even."

"Good luck searching for him then. Until then, Roy."

After Roy had been hung up on, he threw his phone onto his couch and groaned in annoyance, running his hands through his fiery red hair.