Chalant《●12●》

Prompts

23. "I don't deserve to be loved."

31. "I'm not going anywhere."

Superheroes and Soulmates

Suggested by DickGraysonFangirl

A shadowy figure crept in the cave, hidden in the folds of darkness the walls and lighting the mountain cave provided for the teenager.

His gear was rather light, making no sounds when moving, which produced an excellent cover for the attack he had planned.

He turned a sharp corner to end up in the hallway that connected to the kitchen, where Zatanna, Artemis, Wally, and Kaldur were standing around, laughing.

Conner sat next to Wolf, watching static, while Cassie, Garfield, Tim, and Jaime were playing a board game on the floor.

The young man grabbed one of his many smoke bombs, and threw it onto the floor, setting it off, causing the superheroes to cough and become alert.

With his useful mask, he could see through the smoke to see Cassie, Tim, and Garfield were moving around, trying to grasp for a weapon.

Jaime already had his armor on, thanks to his scarab connected to his back, and Superboy was in a battle stance.

Zatanna was coughing while Artemis had grabbed a bow and arrow stash from under the counter, already aiming an arrow towards his doorway.

Kaldur had his water bearers charged with two water formed swords at the ready. All teenagers were prepared to attack him, inching towards him.

Just a little closer.

When Zatanna stopped hacking from the smoke, she rubbed at her eyes and starting walking in front of the group.

The moment they were all about to see his face, he launched into attack, grabbing two of his steel knives from his sash and aiming one for Zatanna's neck, another for Tim's bö staff.

Zatanna quickly jumped away, and Tim blocked the knife with his staff, just as planned. Kaldur tried to hit him in the stomach, but the teenager was too quick and was able to block the attack.

From the corner of his eye, he could see the recognition in Tim's eyes, even if they were masked. He quickly jerked away from one of Conner's punches that headed for his head.

He jumped away from the crowd, just in time to block three of Artemis' arrows and a slash from Blue Beetle's sword.

Before Talon could register what was happening, however, he felt a punch to his head from behind him, and everything went black.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"Zatanna, a moment." Batman's deep voice rang out in the medical bays waiting room.

Zatanna got up from a blue chair, and headed for the man requesting her presence, leaving behind a very troubled Wally West and Kaldur'ahm.

Batman lead her to the room her formerly assumed dead soulmate laid, a white sheet laid over his body, a mask set on his face.

She could see the mark, clear as day on his deathly pale skin. A black simple magician's hat on his right shoulder.

Zatanna could imagine her twin set of blue and black trapeze rings on her own right shoulder on her rather pale skin, freckles dotting her body.

The beeping heart rate was the only reminder this was him. Her soulmate, Richard Grayson. The first Robin. Former Nightwing. Formerly dead.

"After his death, staged by Deathstroke, the mercenary took Nightwing to the Court of Owls as part of a deal between the two." Batman announced, coming to stand next to her.

"The poison Deathstroke used on Nightwing could only be cured by a rare flower, and he made sure he had every flower the world had. There was no saving him." Tim explained as he entered the room.

Zatanna turned to face the young teen, to see tear streaks still prominent on his face, and could barley make out the slight puff on the bottom of his mask.

Zatanna felt a pain shoot her in the heart. Everyone mourned the hero. And now that he's back, and a killer, no one knew how to respond.

The room fell silent, with only the sound of the heart monitor and the steady breathing of the three people present in the room.

"How long until he wakes up?" Zatanna asked, close to tears the longer she stared at the figure laying on the bed.

"I haven't been able to reverse the all of the effects the Court of Owls had done to him, but he has his memories back thanks to J'onn. It'll take him a few hours." Batman explained, before turning away and heading out.

Zatanna dragged up a chair to the bed, and plopped down onto it. Not 10 minutes later did Tim decide to leave the room to give her privacy.

The magician grabbed hold of the young mans right hand, her grip so hard her knuckles were turning as white as the sheet laid on top of him.

She allowed the tears to flow after a good 20 minutes, just to make sure that Tim or Batman didn't come in on her break down.

She closed her eyes, but instead of black vision, it was colored with the scene right before his death. The night they discussed the whole soulmate nonsense. The reason he was killed so easily.

"I don't know how to feel about all of this." Zatanna told the raven as she let him into her house.

"I know, I know Z. But please think about this. We've been together before."

"And look how well that turned out." Zatanna backfired.

"That was one mistake."

"One mistake that you never explained."

"Because you wouldn't let me explain before walking out."

"Because it was a stupid mistake."

The Male ebony sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose before continuing.

"How many times do I have to tell you I was spelled?"

"Apparently once more, because I don't understand why Abra Kadabra would spell you in the first place."

"Well I would have said that, if you would have let me explained!"

"You know what, you keep pointing this all back at me, and I'm sick of it. Just leave."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"JUST GO!"

"I'm so sorry. I should have never let you go. I was just so scared. I always thought that, and still do believe I don't deserve to be loved." Zatanna whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Zatanna opened her eyes again when she felt a small squeeze on her hand.

"You okay?" A raspy voice whispered.

Zatanna looked up to see her soulmate had woken up. The sight alone made her sigh in relief, as small laugh escaping her lips as she hugged him.

"I'm okay, as long as you are."

Okay. I know this took a long time. I wrote half of this chapter when I thought I was done with the mental health issues and I calmed down.

And then it sprang back on me and I lost the ability to write anything not depressing for a while.

And then I was listening to a song and it gave me this idea, so I deleted the half of the story I previously wrote, and finally, FINALLY came up with this.

The song that inspired this chapter ⬇️

And I'm actually, for once, not hating what I wrote.