Jaytim《82》Card Tricks pt.2

Things started out smoothly in the first half of their plan.

They both entered with masks to hide their identities from each other, and had succeeded in getting into the Wayne gala without causing suspicion.

Jason didn't tell Jack, but he did tell Bruce about his mission with Jack and how they might need a cover just in case.

Of course Bruce was being his usual self and insisted that Jack couldn't be trusted, and they needed more evidence, but Jason wasn't always one for strategies.

And besides, Jason trusted Jack, as much as he would never care to admit it out loud. He even developed some respect for the younger man.

He didn't know much about Jack, besides his powers and his crime patterns, but he knew a few facts about Jack's childhood.

Jack came from a rich family and ended up with a fortune after his parents had died. But soon he was robbed of it all and had to find a way to make money somehow.

Jason didn't ever want to think of Jack because of that. He always hated the train of thought that came with the young mans backstory.

The train of thought that made him think of what he would have done with his own life if Bruce hadn't taken him in.

Instead of pondering on those thoughts once again, Jason shook his head and payed attention onto small details as he danced with a woman that had too much makeup on and was obviously drunk.

He wished he could dance with Jack, that way he could keep an eye on the trickster and make sure he was following the plan through and not causing them problems.

Unfortunately the woman he was dancing with and the woman Jack was dancing with had different plans.

The two women had matching masks, which made Jason think that they were either sisters or good friends, considering they were both in a drunken state and were laughing with each other.

Jason's eyes traveled across the room as he danced, trying to keep an eye out for anyone who might look or act sketchy. He could only hope Jack was doing the same thing.

There were plenty of people with masks, and a few who didn't get the memo and were just wearing costumes instead.

Multicolored dresses and black tuxes filled the room in the Manor, making Jason's head spin as he tried to dance with the woman who acted like she had two left feet.

Jason thanked his few lucky stars that he decided to wear his combat boots instead of dress shoes.

After some time he had found Jack dancing with a different woman who was wearing a silk red dress with a simple black mask that had red jewels lining the edges of her eyes.

At first Jason shrugged it off, but then he noticed something about the two.

First off he noticed Jack's eyes had become cold. He could see the tenseness in his body and his firm gaze held on the womans eyes.

Next he noticed the woman had pockets in her dress. And sticking out of one of them was the smallest color of black.

Anyone in the room would have brushed the black color in her dress to be either a simple fashion mistake or just part of the dress, but Jason knew better.

And apparently Jack knew better as well.

It's not that Jason underestimated Jack's skills, it's that he didn't want to place too much trust on a person he didn't even know the identity of. For all he knew he could be part of another mafia and trying to tear his own down. He couldn't afford to let that happen.

The song ended and Jason had managed to excuse himself from the woman, making his way over to where Jack stood, chatting with the woman with a gun in her dress pocket.

The closer he got to the two, the more of the conversation he could hear. They were currently talking about the next charity event, which made Jason a little suspicious.

When Jack had spotted him, his face seemed to glow with a smile. "Ashton, there you are."

As seeing the two couldn't use their real names, they had to go with fake names.

"Alvin." Jason nodded curtly, while side eyeing the woman.

"This lovely woman, Rachel, was just explaining to me her plans for a large fund for the next upcoming charity fund."

Jason's eyes grew wide. "Really now? And when do you get this large fund to spend?"

Rachel sent Jason a small glare so quick it made Jason think he had imagined it. Unfortunatley she smiled right after, giving Jason a headache. "Why I'll be getting a paycheck tomorrow morning from one of my buisnesses."

Jason didn't believe that's how it worked.

And neither did Jack.

Before either of the two men could ask her how that would work, however, Rachel went to excuse herself. "Excuse me, I think I've had too much to drink. I'll be right back."

She said it so abrubtly Jason didn't have any time to comment, and Jack didn't have any time to stop her from quickly walking towards the enterance of the room.

Jason gave Jack a glance, which was returned. Something's fishy around here.

Yet again Jason was stopped from asking the younger man questions when the sound of a bomb going off sounded, and rubble from the East enterance had hit the floor, causing commotion to errupt in the crowd.

Jack ran towards the mess, Jason hot on his heels.

Again, not my best work, but my brain feels dead. I just took my first PSAT today and I can't think properly.

The last chapter of this book will be published on Halloween, and will be Halloween themed with a lot of fluff for your enjoyment.

Thank you for sticking by me through this books process.

I hope you all loved reading it more than I enjoyed writing it!